Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook 15-p-100dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I tried playing a movie on my CD/DVD player and the movie wouldn't play. When I ran a Windows update for the Windows Media Player DVD, I got the following message:  Windows cannot load the device (hp DVDRAM GU90N) driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing.

I looked for the DVD RAM GU90N on the HP website to download it, but couldn't find it. 

Where can I go to find it?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @thebronx153 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a wonderful  place to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you were  unable to play  a movie from the CD/DVD player.  When you ran the Windows update  for the Media Player DVD you received the message that it could not load the device (HP DVDRAM Gu9on) driver for this hardware. The driver may be missing or corrupt.

You looked for a driver  on the HP website but were unable to locate one.

The driver is usually supplied in Windows.

Go to Device Manager.

Click on the CD/DVD Rom drive to expand the list.

Right click on the  hp DVDRAM GU90N and select uninstall the driver.  If you see an option to delete the driver select that also.

Once that has completed, restart your notebook.

Windows should automatically reinstall the driver.

Once that is completed go back and repeat the above process but this time select update the driver when you right click on it.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

ave thesame probleme. I tried what you said but it still not working, I can't read nor CD orDVDs. PLEASE HELP!!!

HP Recommended

Hi @Adeh_c,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy: 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you your optical drive is not working.

Would you please tell me exactly what happens.

Is the disk recognized by the optical  drive?

Do you get any error messages?

What operating system are you running?

I will wait for your reply.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have had a similar problem. I have two hp 15-r011dx, one had a mother board (charging circuit go bad) I put a new motherboard and ram in it, now the dvd drive will not read disks. I am running windows 10 upgrade, it is a model GU90N FW U900, device manager does recognize the drive. The drive will open, when you put a disk in and close the drive it makes a clicking noice on and off then the drive starts spinning for a second then stops. I put the dvd drive from the other computer in the computer that had the bad dvd drive and it worked when i switched it back to the other computer. It worked for a day now I have two dvd drives that apparently are bad now. please help 

HP Recommended

i have the same problem i deleted my driver an reinstalled it

it wont work no errors. it recognizes discs,then starts loading but after loading for 5-10 minutes it ejects an says please enter disc into drive e.

i have an ENVY15 notebook

thank you 

bart hosseini

HP Recommended

Eu estou tendo dificuldades em conseguir utilizar o Gravador de Dvd do notebook HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU90N driver porque não está lendo nenhum cd ou Dvd que é inserido no leitor, o que devo fazer?

Facebook: Marques Stone

HP Recommended

hp dvdram GU90N Why is the problem? what's the solution .

HP Recommended

@mohammad3 wrote:

hp dvdram GU90N Why is the problem? what's the solution .

I have an HP laptop. And DVD drive are disabled. Of course, I can see it in the Control Panel, but is not recognized.

HP Recommended
Mohammadmahdi 
Audio inputs and outputs
Batteries
O Bluetooth
Generic Bluetooth Adapter
Computer
Disk drives
Display adapters
DVD,'CD-ROM drives
hp DVDRAM GU90N
Human Interface Devices
IDE ATA,'ATAPI controllers
Imaging devices
t, Keyboards
Mice and other pointing devices
Monitors
Network adapters
Other devices
PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
PCI Device
Unknown device
Unknown device
print queues
Processors
Security devices
Sensors
Software devices
Sound, video and game controllers
Storage controllers
System devices
Universal Serial Bus controllers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.