Problems replacing Windows 8 with Windows 7 on a HP 2000-bf69WM notebook (21082 Views)
Tutor
hewilson425
Message 1 of 24 (21,082 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problems replacing Windows 8 with Windows 7 on a HP 2000-bf69WM notebook

I just bought a HP 2000-bf69WM notebook at the Black Friday sale at Walmart last night. This morning, I fired it up and it went right to trying to repair itself right out of the box. I managed to get it to stop and I went over to system restore and managed to get it to boot up. Needless to say, I'm not at all impressed with Windows 8. I've heard about all the problems users have had with it. I tried to install Windows 7 on it but it won't install. The BIOS specifies Windows 8 as the OS. How can I dump this Windows 8 CRAP and install Windows 7 on this machine. It's not a bad little machine, I'd hate to get rid of it over another Microsoft screw-up.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 24 (21,073 Views)

Re: Problems replacing Windows 8 with Windows 7 on a HP 2000-bf69WM notebook

Hi:

Somehow you need to figure out how to format the Hard Drive to MBR.

You will not be able to install W7 on a GPT-formatted hard drive, which is why you are currently getting nowhere.

You better also check to see that there are W7 drivers available for your audio and video as these seem to be the hardest things to find drivers for.

Paul

Tutor
hewilson425
Message 3 of 24 (21,070 Views)

so, the BIOS listing Windows 8 as the OS has nothing to do with it?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 24 (21,067 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nope.

The BIOS in my PC lists Wndows Vista and I installed W7 on it with no problems.

It still says Windows Vista in the BIOS.

It is because the disk is GPT-formatted.

I used a Windows XP installation disk to remove the GPT-formatting and let the disk delete all partitons and then format one large MBR partition.

You would have a tough time doing that because you need to slipstream the SATA driver in order for a Windows XP disk to see the drive in your PC.

I had to do that also but I have an Intel processor and I knew what drivers to slipstream.

I never slipstreamed the AMD SATA drivers before.

You may also be able to find some free partitioning softare and set up a MBR partition that way.

But it would need to be a program that you can boot from.

I would also make your set of recovery disks in case you need to reinstall windows 8 if something goes wrong or you can't find suitable drivers for W7.

Tutor
hewilson425
Message 5 of 24 (21,058 Views)

I reformatted another SATA HD I have to MBR  and tried it. It still wouldn't work. I've never had this much trouble with an OS in my life. I have some old HP "mobile workstations" I built out of junk on e-bay and upgraded to W7 from XP with no problem. I think I'll return these new W8 units and find me a couple with W7. Thanks for the help

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 24 (21,051 Views)

You're very welcome.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

I know for a fact that several folks have successfully downgraded new models that came with W8 to W7.

For example...I helped this forum member find drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g/Need-Windows-7-drivers-for-HP-ENVY-m6-11...

Perhaps this issue is model-specific.

Top Student
kazperking
Message 7 of 24 (20,951 Views)

Ok this is what you do...

1- go to top right corner to settings then at the bottom pc settings

2-general- then advanced startup and click restart now

3-put the windows 7 disk in and click use a device then click internal cd/dvd

4-you will get a error saying "the selected boot device failed. press enter to continu

5-now you can go to the system bios press f10

6-system configuration enable virtualization technology

7-boot option then post hotkey 5sec or 10 whichever you want

8-enable legacy support to support windows 7

then restart press esc n boot from cd and it will take you to the windows 7 installation and format that junk windows 8

Top Student
FreakingOut
Message 8 of 24 (20,935 Views)

Instead of using XP to reformat I find using Ubuntu on a USB drive useful because it contains a program called gparted. 

I use about 80 to 100gb for a windows partition and the rest for storage.

Just my 2 cents.

Tutor
hewilson425
Message 9 of 24 (20,923 Views)

I've gotten it to start installing w7 but when it does its first restart, its restarting the installation process. Any suggestions from there?

Top Student
kazperking
Message 10 of 24 (20,917 Views)

try removing the windows 7 disk on the restart and putting it back in after the windows 7 logo also good luck finding the network drivers still having trouble with that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation