Question

Honor Student
tealgravy
Message 1 of 6 (1,211 Views)

Question about "Operating System DVD Windows 7 Professional" disc

Hello... I messed up.

Let me start from the beginning...

My name is Martin, I'm 17 years old and come from Norway (no one probably cares about that, but if you did, there you go).

Back in 2010 I believe, dad bought himself a PC. I'm unsure about the model and specifications, all I know is that it's a HP laptop. With that, it followed a couple installation discs, for reinstallation and/or repair. One of which were 64 bit, the other were 32 bit.

On the disk, it says "For Distribution Only With a New HP or Compaq PC." so we figured it would be ok, if I borrowed it to reinstall Windows on my own HP laptop (Pavilion dv7 3120eo).

I've done this a couple/3 times now, because I tend to "experiment" a little too much with software, if you know what I mean. I'm sure I'm not the only one which have had the need for a re-installation of Windows because of malware.

My mom's PC was getting slow too and really... messed up, to put it that way. She owns a HP laptop too (again, I don't know the model) so we figured it was completely fine using the disk to reinstall Windows, even though the disc came bundled with dad's PC and not her's.

My grandfather owns a HP laptop too and he was running Windows Vista on it, and have been for about 4 years now. There were a lot of, in lack of a better word, **bleep** on it, so we (me and him) figured we should back his data up, format the harddisk and use the Windows 7 installation disc on his PC too. Again, because it was a HP laptop it didn't go against what was written on the disc.

My grandparents live pretty close to my school, so I brought the disc along with me, in my backpack, to school one day, in early December 2012.

Everything went fine and after a couple hours, his PC was back up and running, faster than ever!

I put the disc back in my backpack, so that I wouldn't forget it.

A week or so after that, I decided I wanted to start over again, with my own PC, since it had been quite some time since last time.

Again, everything went perfectly fine and the PC is still working and going strong!

Right after new year, my grandfather called and reported that he had some problems with his PC and was afraid he had gotten a virus.

I brought the disc with me, in case I had to reinstall the OS. Luckily I was able to use System Restore and set the system back to an earlier date, which happened to be just a couple days after I originally installed Windows 7 on his PC.

When I got home I forgot to take the disc out of my backpack amd it have been down there until today (January 28. 2013)

When I got home today I emptied my backpack and my heart skipped a couple beats, a second before I realized why... the precious disc were down in my backpack, split in half. I don't cry often, and I didn't then either, but it was really close to. Mostly because it is my dads disk and not mine. If it was mine I would probably get quite angry at myself, but as it is not... I'm not mad. I just feel incredibly bad inside. If I can figure out how to attach pictures, I'll add one here:

IMG_0818.JPG

If it didn't work, you'll just have to take my word for it - the disc is broken ;(

The title says "question" so, I guess I'll just jump straight into it:

Is there ANY chance that HP, as the fine company it is (I'm not even joking, I think all the HP products I've used was really good) would send me a new disc (64 bit)  so that I can give it back to my dad?

It is a pretty demanding request, I know, but seeing how I am under the age of 18, I can't buy products online, otherwise I would probably post a similar question, except asking if I could buy one of these discs... but I can't.

Really though... it's killing me to know that I broke the disc. It, like... really hurts inside.

If anyone got any questions or want/need more details I'll try to respond to the best of my abilities.

Take care everyone, and if you took the time to read all this - thank you

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (1,199 Views)

Re: Question about "Operating System DVD Windows 7 Professional" disc

Hi, Martin:

Sorry the disk broke on you. 

A good reason to keep it in a protective plastic jewel case.

I'm glad you let us know what country you live in.

You're going to have to 'fess up' (confess) as we say in the USA about the disk to your father, and your father can probably order a replacement set by giving the model number and serial number of his laptop to the HP customer services rep.

He would need to call this number, 800 62 800, mandag-fredag 08.00-17.00.

Good luck.

I hope that HP still has the disks for his model notebook.

Honor Student
tealgravy
Message 3 of 6 (1,192 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply

I presume that number (800 62 800) is for Norwegian HP support?

I really appreciate that you left a number we can call :smileyhappy:

Have a very nice day Paul... although I'm unsure on how much is left of the day where you live :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (1,191 Views)

You're very welcome.

Yes, that phone # is for customers in Norway.

You have a great evening!

It is 15:00 here in St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

Honor Student
george12hermez
Message 5 of 6 (684 Views)

i want to instoal hp windows 7

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 6 of 6 (666 Views)

HI george12hermez::

Thank You for your interest.

I would like to help, but I need some more information  I understand that you would like to install Windows 7.    What model computer do you have? How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? click here.

What operating system are you currently running?

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation