Questions on HP Pavillion model & BIOS upgrade (25153 Views)
Top Student
AshrafulHasan
Message 1 of 15 (25,153 Views)

Questions on HP Pavillion model & BIOS upgrade

Hello all. I have 2 questions.

1. Which one is my laptop model no? On the top right corner of the screen it says HP Pavillion dv6000, on the back of the laptop it says HP Pavillion dv6700 and on HP Software downloads page it says HP Pavilion dv6920ea Entertainment Notebook PC. So which is it and why are there so many different model names on the same laptop?

2. I have been advised by Windows 7 Tech support to upgrade my BIOS. On the HP System Information it says: BIOS version F.58 and BIOS release date 20080616. It is quite old. I have searched high and low but unfortunately am completely lost about how to go on about upgrading it?

Any help would be truly appreciated!

Regards

Ashraf

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 15 (25,142 Views)

Re: Questions on HP Pavillion model & BIOS upgrade

[ Edited ]

Here is a guide to find your correct page for your laptop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033108&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en 

If the model number isn't specific enough then you may use your part number or serial number. (do not post your serial number on the forums)

Before you make an upgrade to your BIOS make sure that it is the correct one for your machine. Installing the incorrect one can render your laptop inoperable.

Ounce you are sure you have the right one save the file to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder.

Ounce you start the installation it will get to a window where it will show you what one you have and the one that you are about to install. If it's the same or older, then it's not necessary to go any further.

If you do install it make sure the adapter is plugged in, the battery is in place and all USB devices are disconnected (USB mouse dongles, printers) if you have any Bluetooth devices do not use them. Lastly make sure the WiFi button is turned on.

Ounce the BIOS is updating DO NOT touch the laptop and when it's finished and shut down, give it at least 2 full minutes before restarting. (I do five minutes)

Now, what is the problem that tech. support wants you to upgrade your BIOS ?  HP tech. support is not always the greatest source of advice and knowledge. Most of us here in the forum do not work for HP, but are computer savvy people with more knowledge and experience than HP tech. support.

EDIT by Katie_H (4/1/11): Fixed broken link

Top Student
AshrafulHasan
Message 3 of 15 (25,138 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello HaggisCat and thank you very much!

With regards to the BIOS, I was advised to update it by Microsoft 7 Tech Support from Windows rather than HP Tech Support. I am not that savvy with these things and unfortunately have failed to locate the correct BIOS upgrade (if any) that may be applicable to my laptop.

Current BIOS version F.58 and BIOS release date 20080616

Any tips on how to locate my correct BIOS version? Where do download it from?

I tried the Intel website but found it thoroughly confusing. I am not doing any upgrades till I am sure as you mentioned the cosequences of a wrong upgrade.

Thanks again

Ash

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 15 (25,119 Views)

Hello Ash

Why did Microsoft 7 tech Support advise you to upgrade your BIOS ?  Does your laptop appear to be running hotter than normal or are you having problems with your DVD/CD driver, card reader etc. ?

If everything is functioning normally there is no need to upgrade the BIOS.

It looks like F.58 is the latest version. I would highly advise you not to update it from any where else other then from the HP website for your specific model.

The BIOS (basic in out system) information is not stored on the hard drive like software and drivers, it is a physical part of the mother board, if you will. If the laptop becomes corrupted by installing the incorrect BIOS, it has to be repaired by downloading the previous version on to a flash drive with another computer. You then plug the flash drive into the corrupted machine and try to get the mother to read the information of the flash to reinstall the previous BIOS.

This can be a tricky situation because the BIOS is also responsible for booting your laptop. It can be very difficult to get the computer to boot into the flash drive because the BIOS is corrupted. It's a catch 22. At times the laptop has to be sent back to HP where they can install the correct BIOS back into the mother board.

There were a number of people here where the HP Upgrade Advisor instructed them to upgrade the BIOS and gave them the link for the download. Of course this was the wrong link and all of their machines were rendered inoperable.

If you do manage to find one from Intel do not use it.

Please let me know if you are having any problems with your laptop and I will help you with them, but don't update something just because someone tells you to or if there is a newer version of something. If the machine is running fine then leave it alone, only trouble shoot when your are having troubles.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the KUDOS btw.

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 15 (24,937 Views)

You have the latest BIOS posted for your model, F.58, which means no further hardware issues have been identified by HP_or at least none that require a BIOS update. What problem are you trying to solve with an update?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
oveand-9
Message 6 of 15 (24,406 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a Pavilion DV6000 (DV6401 to be exactly). On several forums I can read about a release of BIOs version F.3D. It should make it possible to use up to 4GB RAM. On HPs website I get information F.2D is the latest available version for me. Kind of weird it has a release date of dec 2008 but I have it installed on my laptop purchased sept 2007. But anyway, what happened with F.3D? Has it been cancelled? Is it possible for me to use more the 2GB RAM?

Honor Student
oveand-9
Message 7 of 15 (24,362 Views)

oveand-9 wrote:

I have a Pavilion DV6000 (DV6401 to be exactly). On several forums I can read about a release of BIOs version F.3D. It should make it possible to use up to 4GB RAM. On HPs website I get information F.2D is the latest available version for me. Kind of weird it has a release date of dec 2008 but I have it installed on my laptop purchased sept 2007. But anyway, what happened with F.3D? Has it been cancelled? Is it possible for me to use more the 2GB RAM?

No one knows about this?

Is there a record history availible on HP drivers including withdrawn drivers?

There are several owners claiming their DV6000 recognizes 3-4 GB RAM after BIOS update but HP states maximum is 2GB. How can that be?

Student
camie311
Message 8 of 15 (22,179 Views)

i was told to upgrade my laptop hp bios upgrade now it is stuck on the upgrade screen cant shut it off or down help it has been there for an hour

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 9 of 15 (22,149 Views)

First- A bios update is not likey going to change how much RAM you can use.

Ram requirements are determined by the chipsets and their capabilities.

You cannot change that.

Second- Bios updates are not always numbered logically as you mention.

That other revision could be for an entirely different machine.

Student
anjan011
Message 10 of 15 (21,721 Views)

Hello, i have a HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC, product number: KP184PA#UUF

Which by the way shows up as "HP Pavilion dv6775tx Entertainment Notebook PC", when i enter that product number on driver download page.

My problem is that, i have an external dvdrom drive but can't boot from it. This external drive is working ok on the desktop, but not on laptop. It runs fine after windows loads up, but it will not boot from it. This notebook cost me about $1300, the desktop is about $600. So how come a high price piece of notebook has a bios which is just a little more than junk?

My internal DVD rom, just lies in their, can't read/write a thing! So, i around my options of getting a replacement internal dvd drive and an external one, i chose the external one. How am i supposed to know it wouldn't boot from the external one?

Now is there a fix on this by bios update or anything that can make the external dvdrom bootable, it just can't detect the external dvd rom.

Any help with that?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation