Question

Honor Student
Docster
Message 1 of 4 (226 Views)

RAM Limit for Pavillion dv9013cl AMD Processor

I have a Pavillion dv9013cl with a dual core 1.6MHz AMD processor.  The orignal manual say this 17" notebook will only support 2GB of RAM.  It is capable and approved to run 64 bit Windows Vista, but why only 2GB of RAM?  Is it a BIOS or chipset limitation?  Has anyone tried to run more and found it to work?

Thanks.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (195 Views)

Re: RAM Limit for Pavillion dv9013cl AMD Processor

There are several limiting factors of ram amount, one can be the chipset and the number of slots, the other can be hard coded into the bios.

Nothing you can do about the chipset.

Sometimes installing the latest bios will allow more ram in each slot, no guarantee and flashing the bios is risky business.

Honor Student
Docster
Message 3 of 4 (183 Views)

I still don't know if this computer will take more than 2GB of RAM.  :smileywink:

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 4 (175 Views)

Docster wrote:

I still don't know if this computer will take more than 2GB of RAM.  :smileywink:

Hi,

Your laptop supports 2GB of RAM only but sometimes a BIOS upgrade might allow you to use more memory. It depends on the computer chipset. I have checked all BIOSes for the laptop, but no because of the extended memory. I would take a chance and try it. I have seen some post that users could extend the memory to 3GB even when the specs said max up to 2GB. It's an AMD laptop and in my opinion AMD computers are more expandable and upgadable than Intel ones..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation