Question

Honor Student
dineshb4u
Message 1 of 9 (24,246 Views)

RAM limit in hp pavilion dv6 with windows 7 OS

Hi ,

I am having hp pavilion dv6 with windows 7. The usable memory is shown as 2.99 GB. I have 4 GB RAM. Is there a way to bring it near to 4 GB like (updating drivers or OS patch or uninstalling any programs)

Also is there any other OS that supports 4 GB (fully usable RAM) which i can install on my notebook

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 9 (24,237 Views)

Re: RAM limit in hp pavilion dv6 with windows 7 OS

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If You are using 32 bit version of Windows 7 then max Ram which You may use is 3.5 GB.

If You are using 64 bit version then You will use whole 4 GB.

Now I will show You how You may check where your laptop RAM is used.

Hit the Start button Picture of the Start button and in search box write Resource Monitor. Run it.

Choose Memory tab and You will see something like this:

Ram.PNG

In use shows how much memory currently is your system using.

Available memory shows this what's left after giving rest for system and hardware needs.

Total memory shows this what system may use max.

Installed memory shows how much memory is now installed in Your notebook.

Hardware reserved shows how much memory is taken by Your hardware.

So now You know for sure that Your RAM was taken by hardware (example: graphic card) and other system needs.

It is not in your computer as an ornament. It is intended for use.

In conclusion eveything is ok.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Intern
Deano019S
Message 3 of 9 (24,215 Views)

Hi,

Yes, I also have a dv6 and to use your full 4gb ram you need to install Windows 7 x64 bit - it works excellent for me! Also, you can find all the drivers you need on the HP website.

Thanks,

Dean.S

________________________________________________________________________________________
HP Pavilion dv6-2113tx Laptop: Intel Core i5 (2.40GHz), 4GB Ram, 640GB 5400rpm HDD, 15.6in 1366x768, Nvidia GeForce GT 230M (1GB Dedicated), LightScribe 8X DVD+/-RW, Modem, Ethernet, WebCam, 6c Li-Ion, Windows 7 Ultimate x64-bit.

HP Pavilion A1220a Desktop: Pentuim 4 (3.06GHz), 2GB RAM, 80GB 7200rpm HDD, Intel 915GV Graphics, Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, DVDRW, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.
Honor Student
IceDragon
Message 4 of 9 (24,073 Views)

[ Edited ]

Purchased a HP dv6 3031tx (Product number: WX051PA#ABG) yesterday. Win-64 with 4Gb of RAM - straight out of the box no hardware changes.

However, I also have a problem with the hardware reserved memory. 500Mb I could understand... maybe, but currently 2Gb+ is being 'hardware reserved'!

Currently this makes the system unusable, as by the time Windows takes its memory and a few applications are started, I'm running into swap space =(

Any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated - haven't found anything useful online. Tried setting maximum memory in msconfig, but maximum settable is 2Gb.

[Edit] Noticed that graphics is marking 700Mb+ of system memory as 'shared'. Could this be part of the 'hardware reserved' section and, if so, is there any way to change this?

[Edit 2]. Under system information: Installed Physical Memory is confirmed 4Gb. Total Physical Memory is only 2Gb of which only 790Mb is available.

[Edit 3] According to the device manager, sorted by connection, the reserved memory is predominantly allocated to the motherboard - but no real further detail (that I can read anyway).

I'd like to check the BIOS to see what the memory settings are, and so forth, but the only editable settings are the system date and time... I can see that the BIOS says there is 4GB installed (Windows says the same), but 2GB being usable seems too high a chunk. As soon as a run several programs utilising memory heavily (say 500Mb), the machine slows down significantly (implying entering swap space, not releasing 'reserved' memory).

I rang HP support here (Edit 3), but was informed it was a windows 7 bug, and in actual fact all memory would be used even if it was marked 'hardware reserved'. I'm not 100% convinced... thus this update.

Honor Student
IceDragon
Message 5 of 9 (24,045 Views)

Although phone support indicated that this memory would be used, I think I have evidence it is not the case.

As I said to them, I run two instances of a very memory hungry program - one instance is currently sitting at 1.2Gb memory. Free memory is going to zero, and the programs are running extremely slowly. This is not expected given that I should have plenty of free memory without needing to access swap space - (number of hard faults around 60+).

I can't confirm that the bios is set correctly - it's not editable and I can view the settings that might give me the info I need (whether extended memory is set and so forth).

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 9 (23,999 Views)

[ Edited ]

@IceDgragon

Hi,

Could You show me screen with all values?

If You can't post it then upload it on any server and reply with link to it.

IceDragon wrote:
I run two instances of a very memory hungry program

What kind of software is it?

PS.

Sorry for so late reply. Somehow I wasn't subscribed to this thread and didn't know that someone was posting here anything.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Student
jazzercrak07
Message 7 of 9 (21,578 Views)

I just don't know what's the problem with my DV6 notebook. I have tried installing all teh programs that I need but seems nothing has changed. Often times I encouter it static and after split seconds will go back to normal. After awhile the same incurs again. Shrug. Just don't know what to do. The RAM I guess is good (4gig). I don't know if the processor matters since I have AMD.

Student
poiseuille
Message 8 of 9 (15,899 Views)

even i've got the same problem.

i have a dv6 7012tx with 6 GB of ram.

the preinstalled 64 bit os showed 6 gigs of ram, but when i installed a 32 bit os, it shows only 2.41 GB usable and the rest sysytem reserved.

its causing a lot of trouble to me while using multiple applications.

the maximum memory option in msconfig is not working and i cant find any editable option in the bios.

please help.!!

Student
Wolfgang1969
Message 9 of 9 (14,991 Views)

The HP Pavilion dv-6 4GB Lptp has a RAM limit of 8GB with no changes to hardware or software. It holds one 4GB RAM card at purchase, and of course has one empty RAM slot available for expansion to 8GB max.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation