Question

Student
Stan1125
Message 1 of 16 (130,631 Views)

Re-install Windows XP on HP mini with USB drive

HP mini does not have DVD drive. Is it possible to reinstall Windows XP using USB drive?
Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 2 of 16 (130,631 Views)

Re: Re-install Windows XP on HP mini with USB drive

Hello Stan1125,

Yes it is possible... mainly you need to make the USB Drive Bootable...

here is a link that explains it... i am sure there are others, easier to understand but this should work ...

[ http://www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/ ]

Hope that helps you ...

Let me know how it goes ..

--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
Teacher
JAZZER
Message 3 of 16 (126,601 Views)

Installing Microsoft Windows XP from usb device (usb-stick, usb-hdd, SD card) simpler methodSee

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-XP-USB-t111406.html&view=findpost&p=737643#entry737643 Method 1 Full XP Install

1. You will need a special tool to copy the Installationfiles and making the USB-stick/SD card bootable - usb_multiboot_10.zip
  2. Unpack to any folder. THE PATH TO YOUR FOLDER MUST BE SIMPLE AND WITHOUT SPACES! (ex. c:\usb_multiboot_10)
  3. Insert USBstick / SD card.
    1. ALL DATA ON YOUR STICK WILL BE ERASED! Please back up before running USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd!
  4. Run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd. follow text description.
  5. Format utility will apear. Choose NTFS for >=4Gb usb flash and FAT16 for other, Start format, Close after finishing to allow the DOS operations to continue.
    1. diamondsw: Using the “HP format” option works fine for any capacity, and you can use FAT32 without problems (I used a 4GB stick). This can be useful as more systems can read FAT32 than NTFS.
    2. NOTE: If you are doing this from a Vista machine, you may need to run PeToUSB.exe as adminstrator in order for this program to recognize the jump drive. (Right click PeToUSB.exe > Properties > Compatibility > “Run this program as an administrator” checked.)
  6. Set options 1 and 2. Set option 0 only if you want to use USB HDD instead of a USB stick/ SD card.
  7. Do not touch other options if you have no idea about it.
  8. Choose 3 after setting all other options. It will create the image and write it to the USB stick as well as making the USBstick / SD card bootable.
  9. Answer Yes to all questions that come up (these vary depending on options selected).
  10. When it finishes copying, remove your usb stick and insert it in the EeePC to install XP.
  11. When you turn on the Eee, hold down “Esc” to choose the boot device and select the USB stick/ SD card. You'll need to do this at each reboot until XP is fully installed and you've logged in.
  12. Choose Text installation at first time and GUI INSTALLATION AFTER REBOOT TWICE! - ( Choose step 1 to start installing, after reboot choose step two, after continued install press step 2 AGAIN to log into XP - As soon as you arrive at the Windows XP Desktop you can safely remove the USBStick / SD card.
    1. If you get hal.dll not found errors, read carefully the last two last bullets!
    2. If you get 'ntldr is missing' or other boot errors after you have ran text installation make sure you have deleted ALL partitions during 'text installation' this includes the BIOS partition.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT REMOVE USB STICK UNTIL YOU'LL SEE XP's LOGIN SCREEN!
Top Student
gemtiara
Message 4 of 16 (126,563 Views)

my operating system is licenced do i still have to install anothe o.s?
Teacher
JAZZER
Message 5 of 16 (126,457 Views)

no
Student
v0misa
Message 6 of 16 (125,365 Views)

hey, i get this error: FIle \$win_nt$.~BT\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 18.

Any ideas?

Student
ewanyande
Message 7 of 16 (116,653 Views)

Yes it is possible. Just use WIN-to-Flash (or WinToFlash) applications. This is available on the internet as a shareware. You also need a Bootable Windows XP CDS. Run the win-to-Flash in a secondary computer with the Windows XP CD inserted to transfer the setup files form the Windows CD to the flash disk. Once done Boot the mini laptop from the Flash drive.

NOTE: Windows XP does not come incorporated with the SATA drivers for HP mini laptops. You may need to slipstream the SATA drivers into the Windows XP Setup files before booting. Failure to do so will result on frequent and frustrating blue screen (error screen) appearing before windows loading. This is not as easy as it sounds. Should you get stuck, use Nlite to sliptream the drivers into a new XP CD.

Student
MAGAKIAS
Message 8 of 16 (101,240 Views)

hmm..!Nice But...
"Enable Disk Format"
need Can Disable!!
and later all its ok!
(I CHECK IT)

MaGak1aS

Student
Julie009
Message 9 of 16 (87,066 Views)

Check out http://www.bootableusb.org

Julie

Honor Student
mikeloeven
Message 10 of 16 (79,749 Views)

I think your making this needlessly complicated. You dont need a usb drive or a bootable harddrive they actually make usb external dvd/cd drives that will just let you install xp normally.

check out newegg i found a few as low as 30$ +/- shipping

if you are too cheap to buy a usb cd rom you can just plug any cd rom be it sata or ide into a harddrive enclosure (you might need an extension cable). alot of people dont know this but an external harddrive enclosure is just a ide/sata adapter and will allow you to mount any device that uses those standards.

i actually was able to set up a cd as a NDAS network drive by plugging it into a iocell enclosure. but thats not important.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation