Question

Honor Student
scrabes
Message 1 of 3 (496 Views)

Recovery Disks and OS Corrupted

I bought an hp e9262f a few months ago, and burnt the recovery discs shortly after, (when the popup showed up to remind me).

Fast forward 2 months. I get a critical error while encoding a video file and windows will no longer boot. The repair tools fail to fix the problem, any type of repair or install from the recovery discs just hang for hours until I shut the system down. The F11 recovery tools are innaccessible as nothing happens when I attempt to use them, it just continues attempting to load windows and crashes.

After days of toil I finally managed to format the drive (including the recovery partition) and install a fresh copy of windows 7 from a friends disc. The problem I have now is that I selected to enter my cd key at a later date option when installing, as my HP CD Key for Win7 won't work with a retail copy.

Basically I'm wondering if there's anyway I can get the HP cd key to work with some copy of windows. If I can download it from HP somewhere I haven't been able to find. There's no way I'm paying $50 for recovery discs, especially when I already burnt a set for myself and they either didn't burn properly, or just straight failed to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 3 (484 Views)

Re: Recovery Disks and OS Corrupted

[ Edited ]

The OEM key restrictions have been relaxed a bit in Win7 & the key from your sticker should work. Have you tried entering it? If it won't activate automatically you should have the option to activate by phone with MS.Just explain as you did here and it shouldn't be a problem.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
scrabes
Message 3 of 3 (475 Views)

Re: Recovery Disks and OS Corrupted

I did try and it wasn't accepted by the software. I will try calling them and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation