Question

Honor Student
fredundant
Message 1 of 15 (3,614 Views)

Recovery Drive (E)

Hi all.

Im new to this forum and apologies if this has been covered before.

I have a HP G70 notebook that came with windows vista. I did a clean install on my C drive to upgrade to windows 7. I left the recovery drive (E) in tact. The clean install removed everything by HP, including the option for system restore.

I want to go back to windows vista. I thought a system recovery would do the trick. I press f11 at start up, and it says recovery on the boot screen. i keep tapping and then windows boots normally. does this feature only work in vista?

As i still have the recovery partition, is there a way to take my computer back to factory settings?

Thanks

Fred

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 15 (3,599 Views)

Re: Recovery Drive (E)

This usually works, except rare occasions where the option is grayed out>>>

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot the notebook and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager_without pressing F11.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
fredundant
Message 3 of 15 (3,564 Views)

On a further note i changed my Recovery Drive letter to 'D'. I used to dual boot my computer with vista and 7. I think the recovery drive was originally D. No when i press F11 the computer says no boot drive found. I think F11 will work if i have the correct drive letter. It's a long shot I know.

I use a HP G70 212EM

any help?

Thanks

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 15 (3,548 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you try my previous reply above? Disk Management will show the Recovery partition no matter what letter you have assigned to it...if it will allow you to Mark it as Active it will boot.

F11 is not going to work no matter what you do to driver letter assignment once you change the MBR of the C: drive.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
fredundant
Message 5 of 15 (3,540 Views)

Hi Cheryl

I appreciate you helping me with this. Ive marked the recovery partition as active like you suggested. It is still booting into windows 7 as normal. Do i need to make my C drive inactive for it to work?

If yes how do I go about this?

Student
EroThraX
Message 6 of 15 (3,321 Views)

Sorry for bumping this but I'm slightly confused by all these posts about F11 not working anymore.

I've done 2 clean installs of windows 7 on my Vista laptop since it came out and F11 still boots into the HP recovery partition, how is that possible if the MBR is supposedly specific for windows 7 after a clean install. 

Honor Student
saaz
Message 7 of 15 (3,272 Views)

Hi,

I had bought HP Dv6 laptop for my Son. He altered the total space assigned to the recovery partition using some 3rd party tool. Although, the total size of that partition is still greater than used space and there is still 2 Gb of free space available, I have doubt whether the recovery will work.

Can you please let me know whether the recovery is possible now or can recovery discs be made using that partition or not?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Saaz

Student
rdcook01
Message 8 of 15 (3,264 Views)

Go through the links to generate recovery disks and see if they work.  the adjustment of the partition size should not have changed the contents of the drive if the 3rd part gadget was any good.  I've already  burned my recovery dvds so I can't test this for you.

**bleep**

Honor Student
saaz
Message 9 of 15 (3,254 Views)

Before burning the recovery discs, I tried to launch recovery console by pressing F11 at the system startup, the recovery console is  starting up giving several option for recoveries and disc checks, does it confirm that the recovery partition is functioning properly?

Also, does changing the drive letter affects the launch of recovery console, because it is only starting up when the original drive letter is assigned to it?

Honor Student
markdupriest
Message 10 of 15 (3,053 Views)

First time here, excuse me if I've posted erroneously.

I have a HP dv6, Vista HP 32, newly returned to factory specs, everything reloaded all was fine.

Recovery dr was D.

Yesterday I loaded Acronis, did a all the back-ups possible. Have yet to make the hp recovery discs.

Noticed today dr D had changed to E and all but 63Mb is now taken! How can I find out if HP Recovery still works without using it? If I need to reformat & start all over I would rather know that now rather than later.

thanx..:smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation