Question

Top Student
Rainbow
Message 1 of 20 (45,860 Views)

Recovery Error Code 1002

I replaced the Compaq Presario laptop (both model V3701VU and CQ40-127TU) with a new SATA 250GB hard-disk. When I tried to do a full system recovery to this new hard-disk at end of the recovery process it gives an error message "1002" and aborted. Anyone can advise what is error code "1002"?  I am able to ready this hard-disk from other laptop without problem. The Presario is running Windows Vista Home edition.

Also Can I confirm that V3701VU able to load in Windows XP but not CQ40-127TU? As I am unable to find Windws XP driver for CQ40.

Thank you.

Top Student
canman112
Message 2 of 20 (45,782 Views)

Re: Recovery Error Code 1002

Hello

I bought a brand new Compaq CQ50 Late July 2008, and I only realized it had this problem now, 3 months later.  My laptop has been pillaged by HP's Total Care tech. support to try and resolve the issue. I am now in the process of sending my laptop for the third time, because they removed my hdmi out for some reason and sent the computer back...... I still get ERROR 1002,  I don't think HP/ Compaq has a clue about this. All they can do is restore the system for you and send it back, and they believe they are solving the issue every time.   So beware if you plan to send in your laptop for this issue, it might be returned to you in a subpar condition with the problem NOT resolved.  If there is anyway I could still return this I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Teacher
Message 3 of 20 (45,778 Views)

Did the DMI Utility have been installed on the hard drive. If not the disc is not going to install correctly. The DMI prevent OEM recovery discs getting installed on just any machine. If you purchased the drive from HP its should came with the DMI  install on the drive already. If purchased it someone else you going to need to contact HP to get the DMI Utility and install it yourself.
Specializing in Microsoft Windows.....Supporting all major OEMs including HP
Top Student
Rainbow
Message 4 of 20 (46,133 Views)

Thank you for your reply. probably due to did not install DMI utility for the hard-disk. May I know how to download the DMI utility? Also if I boot up on other OEM XP boot disk how to insert the DMI utility into the boot disk?

Top Student
canman112
Message 5 of 20 (46,129 Views)

Sorry..... can you explain what you mean by DMI?     All I know is I tried to perform a factory rest/ system recovery which both mean the same thing  and it always fails saying- "ERROR 1002- Contact HP to resolve issue"......    It doesn't matter if you use your system recovery discs  OR the data one partition of the hard drive, it still gives you the ERROR 1002"  and shuts down.

I don't know how to resolve myself. But i will be trying to contact a supervisor of tech support or someone higher up to resolve this. ... What is good is the comp. if you have to send it everytime you need to format. Also, mine comes with a 1 year warranty...And i'm sure they'll expect the customer to pay for shipping and a fee to restore it after the warranty expires.    

Teacher
Message 6 of 20 (46,122 Views)

Only HP can get you the DMI utility. Good luck going through tech support to get it. Description of the DMI Utility can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Management_Interface
Top Student
canman112
Message 7 of 20 (46,094 Views)

Thank you for your help. So if i do get the DMI....then i'm guessing it will be resolved easily?      Is the cause of the error the fact that they have failed to install the DMI?    Because if this is so, I was advised to include any comments on a note when sending the laptop in if need be......

I was just going tell them to try and system restore from the Hard drive's partition to reproduce the ERROR 1002. 

If this DMI is it. I will definitely write a note on the laptop telling them to install it!

Because they clearly have no clue how to resolve it........   The first time i shipped it out for ERROR 1002 Action taken was:  Changed Hard drive and heat sink, and O/S system restore.

2nd time i shipped it out for error 1002, action taken was: Replaced the Top of the laptop (im guessing the lid, because they replaced it with one that was dirty),  REMOVED my HMDI out (only God knows why..), and the O/S system restore.

I've only owned it for just over 4 month, and as i ship it back it will now be in their hands for a quarter of the time that i've owned.   Also, I don't want to have to buy my own copy of an O/S just to rescue this laptop.

maybe you can let me know what I can put down on the note so they can REALLY fix it this time, instead of literally decimating my laptop.

Thanks again!!

Teacher
Message 8 of 20 (46,068 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can also get the error if the system bios has gone bad. If HP put in a updated motherboard or removed a part.  If the DMI on the motherboard doesn't match the DMI thats on your hard drive. It maybe causing the conflict. The fact that the removed HDMI is causing the hard drive DMI to think that HDMI is installed which its not. They may have put another motherboard on your computer without re-tattoing the hard drive with the same DMI utility. Everything have to match or its not going to install correctly. Now if the DMI wasn't installed on the hard drive at all. It will not let you run the discs. It will tell you that the disc is not compatible with this model. It seems like a case of mismatched DMI utilities.

Message Edited by gdirty on 12-24-2008 04:07 PM
Top Student
canman112
Message 9 of 20 (46,057 Views)

Ok thanks for the head's up! :smileyhappy:  I'll put that in the note, and remind them to match the DMI with the mobo, and all the components before sending back,

thanks again!

Student
canman113
Message 10 of 20 (45,147 Views)

Hello again folks!    Thanks for all your help gdirty. I sent my compaq laptop in the third time, but this time i wrote a letter on the front telling the techs. about the DMI problem, and requesting their DMI utlity.  They didnt give me the utility as you guessed, but it made them change the motherboard on the pc and the first thing i tried when i received the laptop was a system restore, and it worked!

I always  try to do a check for 100% functionality of electronics I buy, and especially computers. Everything looked good with this one after my checks, I never thought this kind of software issue, and DMI problem would arise.  I guess from now on when i buy a comp it's the first thing i'll do before the refund deadline..

I guess talking to tech support and getting the motherboard replaced is the only solution since tech. support is just a general term for part-replacement.

I'm glad I tried to system restore during the 1 year warranty period.... I don't want to imagine what sending it in 3 times for the same problem, and the mobo change would cost otherwise.   If anyone is out of warranty with this problem.... I would definitely make a strong case that this problem did not arise due to an user's activity, but was a manufacturing problem/ defect present before the purchase date.

Thanks again!!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation