Question

Tutor
cassiearmand
Message 1 of 20 (23,332 Views)
Accepted Solution

Recovery discs don't work with new hard drive?

[ Edited ]

Greetings, everyone.

I have an HP laptop (pavilion dv7-1245dx) and the hard drive died. I had never gotten around to burning my recovery discs, so I ordered new ones from HP. When I installed the new hard drive and popped in the operating system recovery disc, it gave me the error message:

"This PC is not supported by the System Recovery Discs. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these discs."

Error code: 0100-30FC-3602-3603

The original hard drive was a Hitachi, 320 GB SATA

The new hard drive is a WD 500 GB SATA

Any assistance that anyone can give would be lovely. :]

Thank you for your time,

EDIT: Trying to recover a Vista Operating System

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 20 (23,313 Views)

Re: Recovery discs don't work with new hard drive?

Hi,

This will only apply if the Operating System you are trying to install is Windows 7.

Try the following process.

Download and create the bootable CD as described on the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-80183-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

When you have created this CD, insert it into the system that is unable to boot, restart it and wait until you see a window with a green check mark.  Then remove the CD.  Shutdown the notebook and start it again with no Disc inserted in the CD/DVD Drive.  Then insert your first Recovery DVD.  Restart the PC and go through the process of installing the Operating System again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
cassiearmand
Message 3 of 20 (23,306 Views)

Greetings!

Thank you for the prompt response. I knew there was a piece of information that I was missing in my post! My apologies for not including it above. The operating system that I am trying to restore is Window Vista.

Thank you for your time, and my apologies again for not including my operating system in the original post.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 20 (23,284 Views)

Hi,

No problem :smileyhappy:

Does your old HDD work at all - what I'm thinking of is loading the OS on the old drive, use imaging software to create an image of this and then load this image on to the new HDD.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
dinub1
Message 5 of 20 (23,280 Views)

Well the former advice is well, but does it worth the time?

I swapped the original HDD with a SDD. I cloned the partition and here I go....

Using the revery discs failed on me as well.. a long time comsuming process... 4 DVD's Wooof :smileyhappy:

Before I did that I backed up entire SSD with Acronis.  I gave up and restored the backup without any hickups.

Tutor
cassiearmand
Message 6 of 20 (23,270 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you again for the prompt replies.

Unfortunately, the old drive is really unstable. I -might- be able to get it to work long enough to do something like that, but I'm kind of doubtful. To give an example of how unstable it is, I went to backup some of my stuff from the old drive after it failed to load Windows and it took me forever to transfer my files over to my backup source because it kept freezing and glitching along the way - giving me errors, etc (granted, I used a bootable operating system to access the files on the laptop itself, so it is possible the bootable operating system, Knoppix, was causing some of the instability). Still, when I did a scan of the hard drive, the hard drive test completely failed - it wouldn't even finish.

I don't suppose there's a nifty downloadable tool for HP using Vista like there was for the Windows 7 that you linked to? Because that would be awesome.

Tutor
cassiearmand
Message 7 of 20 (23,215 Views)

For some reason it isn't letting me edit my post again - my apologies in advance for the double posting.

Is there any way for me to clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive and then use the recovery discs to reinstall Vista to working condition?

Tutor
cassiearmand
Message 8 of 20 (23,168 Views)

[ Edited ]

For anyone that has the same problem, I found a fix. I cloned the original hard drive using the rescue option of Clonezilla. After using Clonezilla to put the image onto the new hard drive, the partition that held the majority of the laptop's data was not mountable, however the partition containing the restoration partition was a flawless copy. I turned on the computer, hit escape to get to the menu (for a list of options like boot order, etc, which included an option for recovery), then chose the recovery option. While the recovery discs I got from HP refused to work with the new hard drive, the cloned recovery partition restored Vista flawlessly. 

Student
georged98
Message 9 of 20 (22,400 Views)

My hard drive failed on my DV2988SE Pavilion HP laptop with Windows Vista. I replaced the 320GB hard drive with a Toshiba 320GB hard drive. The original recovery disks did not work. The 2nd recovery disk completed but during the cleanup process of the Windows installation, the 'delete temp folder' failed. I ordered a new set of Recovery Disks from HP for the same model number, DV2988SE. This also failed the same way and spot.

Can I buy a Windows Vista or Windows 7 in the store and just install a complete new system? Will this work? I don't want to keep buying software if it won't work.

Any advice??

Thank you.

Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 20 (22,389 Views)

@georged98

Windows 7 should work great on your model.I have a similiar dv2810us that I installed 7 on.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation