Question

Student
BlackWidow77
Message 1 of 3 (2,198 Views)

Recovery is almost full....

Why is my recovery drive almost full?  I can't get into the properties to see what's on it, so I don't know what is being saved to it.  My OS is Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit; partitioned drives.  I would like to know if I can resolve this problem on my own, or if I have to contact Microsoft.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 3 (2,182 Views)

Re: Recovery is almost full....

[ Edited ]

One possibilty, Windows restore is turned on for the D drive, disable it to see if the space returns.

Control Panel (icon view) >System .Advanced System Settings >System Protection >

Highlight "Recovery (D) and then click Configure button, then tick "turn off system protection"

Hit OK then OK. This will delete any restore data that is on D.

If you have Vista, see these instructions also

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01555992&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If this does not cure it, there must be some other backup software using the D drive for storage, you will need to configure that software to either OFF, or set the backup location to an external usb hard drive.

See what folders are on the drive, sometimes this is a clue to what other backup software is using it.

You may have to unhide hidden folders in folder options to see the contents of D.

Intern
MartyH
Message 3 of 3 (2,181 Views)

Re: Recovery is almost full....

BlackWidow77,

The recovery drive is a partition of C-Drive and is used only in the event that you need to do a System Recovery.  It was already preloaded with the necessary recovery files when you first got your laptop.  You are not saving anything new to the partition.  Because some users consider the recovery partition to be "wasting space"  from the C-Drive, the partition was designed to hold the recovery files with very little "wasted space" left over. In other words, you don't have a problem, there isn't anything to be resolved.  Some diagnostic programs raise a flag when any drive is close to being full. If that's happening on your PC with the recovery drive, no need to worry about it. 

dm4t  i5-430M  4GB-RAM  IntelGraphics

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation