Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

When trying to restore the factory image (F11 during boot), the laptop seems like it is trying to boot the missing Windows installation (Windows boot manager error page).

The partitions "SYSTEM", "HP_RECOVERY" and "HP_TOOLS" have not been touched. The ~15 GB recovery files are still there!

The Windows partition (2nd primary) has been deleted and recreated as an NTFS partition. Since then the recovery process will not start.

How can I restore the system from my intact HP_RECOVERY partition without using recovery DVDs? (I can't access them right now.)

Does the Windows partition need some specific disk label? What is the magic that breaks the recovery when a NTFS partition is simply deleted and recreated?

Peter

HP ProBook 6550b (WD701EA#ABD)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution: How to fix F11 not entering recovery manager process

You will need:

- this fix by HP: Fix for HP Multi-Partition Recovery Manager (the ProBook 6550b is not listed as a supported model, but it worked for me)

- a working Windows installation (see partial solution above) to install the fix on your ProBook

or

- enough knowledge to extract the missing winre.wim from the above fix, to copy it to your recovery partition and to apply any other necessary steps (I did not do this)

Steps:

- from within your working Windows installation on your ProBook open the downloaded file "sp48415.exe"

- files will be extracted to "C:\swsetup\SP48415", open this folder in Explorer

- right click "F11SPFix.cmd" and launch as administrator

- the fix will be applied

Reboot und press F11 during boot to enter your (hopefully) fixed recovery manager.

Credits to HP support.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

HI,

@Peter_Rob wrote:

Hi,

When trying to restore the factory image (F11 during boot), the laptop seems like it is trying to boot the missing Windows installation (Windows boot manager error page).

The partitions "SYSTEM", "HP_RECOVERY" and "HP_TOOLS" have not been touched. The ~15 GB recovery files are still there!

The Windows partition (2nd primary) has been deleted and recreated as an NTFS partition. Since then the recovery process will not start.

How can I restore the system from my intact HP_RECOVERY partition without using recovery DVDs? (I can't access them right now.)

Does the Windows partition need some specific disk label? What is the magic that breaks the recovery when a NTFS partition is simply deleted and recreated?

Peter

Please identify your notebook. Look at the barcoded sticker on the bottom of the notebook and post everything you see there except the serial number.

c01931836.gif

If you format your notebook´s hard disk without cloning an image externally you are essentially removing your ability to use the recovery partition.  

Once you identify your notebook I will look to see what is available in terms of drivers and software for your notebook.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@ Peter_Rob

Right click on "Computer" and then go to "Manage"

In that window go to "Disc Management" in the left column.

Find your HP Recovery Partition and right click on it and mark it as "Active", ignore the warning sign and continue. Close all windows.

Shut the laptop right down and boot up, do not use restart. That should get the recovery process working.

Have the adapter plugged in when doing this.

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

I added the model to my signature. Simply forgot it...

Peter

HP Recommended

Hi HaggisCat,

I set the bootable flag using a Linux live CD as I cannot boot Windows. The result is the same as pressing F11 during startup: Windows Boot Manager error page.

HP Recommended

erico,

One more thing. You wrote "if I format my notebook's hard disk". Just to prevent misunderstandings: I did not format the whole hard disk. It is only the Windows partition that has been recreated. The other three partition (HP_RECOVERY, HP_TOOLS and SYSTEM) haven't been formatted.

HP Recommended

Hi Peter,

Thanks.

You might be able to get it to work by using EasyBCD. From what I read you will have to give the recovery partition a drive letter and add it as an option in easyBCD.

BTW...EasyBCD is not for beginners or even novices unless they are willing to read up on it. It is an advanced tool. Check out the EasyBCD forum for advice.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@Peter_Rob wrote:

erico,

One more thing. You wrote "if I format my notebook's hard disk". Just to prevent misunderstandings: I did not format the whole hard disk. It is only the Windows partition that has been recreated. The other three partition (HP_RECOVERY, HP_TOOLS and SYSTEM) haven't been formatted.

If you format any partition on the hard drive it removes the active flag for the recovery partition and then F11 won't  invoke the Recovery Manager during a startup of the notebook.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Is "active" the same as setting the "boot" flag?

When HP_RECOVERY has the boot flag, normal startup ends with the Windows Boot Manager error page. Just like before when hitting F11.

Without the flag it gives me "BOOTMGR is missing". Well, the Windows partition is empty...

I will have a look at EasyBCD. Thanks for the moment.

HP Recommended

HI,

@Peter_Rob wrote:

Is "active" the same as setting the "bootable" flag? Yes

When HP_RECOVERY has the bootable flag, normal startup ends with the Windows Boot Manager error page. Just like before when hitting F11.

Without the flag it gives me "BOOTMGR is missing". Well, the Windows partition is empty...

I will have a look at EasyBCD. Thanks for the moment.

Here is an interesting thread at another forum about the same isue you are having and using EasyBCD.

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.