Re: Reformatting a Laptop (7573 Views)
Tutor
Zerole
Message 1 of 22 (7,590 Views)
Accepted Solution

Reformatting a Laptop

Model:  dv6t Quad Ed - LM720AV

Hi guys, about 6-7 months ago I bought the laptop above.  I've been pretty happy with it except for one thing, because it's a manufactored computer it came with a lot of extra programs that I don't need or want.  I'd like to reformat and do a clean install of only the programs I need/want but I'm a little worried.  I've had no problems in the past doing this with my desktop, but with this laptop I'm unsure if there are separate programs that I need in order for it to run (I.E. drivers and whatnot for the wireless to work).

My friends, that are Computer Science and Electrical Engineering majors, have told me that Windows 7 has gotten to the point that if I just install it and run the update, it'll automatically get all the programs that I need to run my computer.  Can anyone whose had more experience with HP please confirm this or recommend a way for me to find the exact programs I need for my hardware/laptop to run?

Thank you!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 22 (7,573 Views)

Re: Reformatting a Laptop

Hi,

You're friends are near enough correct and there is also an easy way to perform a clean install of Windows 7 using the license key for your OEM version of Windows 7 found on the underside of your notebook.

If you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie as your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need - use this to perform the installation.

If you don't have access to a retail disc, you can create an installation disc yourself - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need ( a clean installation will often not find the correct Card Reader, validity Sensor or IMEI driver ) can be found Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Zerole
Message 3 of 22 (7,571 Views)

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately I don't have a retail version of the 64-bit of Windows 7 available however I do have a 32-bit version available that I bought from my University.  I believe it allows me to install on up to 3 computers with the product key, will this be alright in place of the 64-bit version?  I'm not aware of whether any hardcore on this laptop requires 64-bit or anything.

In regards to the Drivers that I may need, how do I know which I'd need?  For example, in that link you posted there are 9 different Drivers for the Chipset, I don't know which I should be using.

Once again, thank you very much.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 22 (7,563 Views)

Hi,

Yes, you're 32bit version should be fine and most likely, Windows will install the correct Chipset driver anyway.

You may need to install the following.

Intel Management Engine Interface.

USB 3.0 Host Controller.

Card Reader Driver.

Validity Sensor Driver.

Any further drivers for a 32bit installation of Windows 7 can be found Here.

If you find anything else showing as an 'Unknown Device' in windows device manager, just post back.

All the best,

DP-K

Tutor
Zerole
Message 5 of 22 (7,543 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having issues wiping my harddrive and reinstalling Windows 7 on this HP laptop.  In the past, whether I booted the Windows 7 disc from my Desktop or the Boot Menu (F12?), through the installation process I'd be shown all of my available harddrives at which point I could reformat/wipe the ones that I wanted and then select which to install the OS on.

This time however, I can only boot the Windows 7 disc from the Desktop.  In any case, similar to the process above I'm seeing several (4 in this case) partitions in my harddrive (System, Local, Recovery, and HP Tools).  I'd like to reformat/wipe all but the Recovery Drive but I can't access any but the Local (it says I need the driver/media disc or something) Drive.  Every time I try loading up the Drive in order to reformat it I get a pop up saying it requires a Driver Device to load it?  In addition, I'm not seeing any option where I can reformat it before I install Windows like before.

Do you have any suggestions?

Edit:  I believe the issue might be that I need to boot from the Windows 7 disc in order to reformat my partitions?  For some reason I can't when I hit F12, the only two options I get are

1)  Log onto my current Windows 7 OS

2)  System Diagnostic Tool

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 22 (7,534 Views)

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start up to access the Bios Menu and make sure that the optical drive is set as the first bootable device - save any changes before exiting the bios menu and when windows has loaded, insert your installation disc, cancel any Autorun options and just restart the notebook - does it boot from the Windows disc this way and do you now get the option to view/format the available partitions?

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
Zerole
Message 7 of 22 (7,518 Views)

Thanks David, that did the trick. Do you think it's alright if I delete the System and HP Tool partitions? I was going to leave the Recovery partition alone in case of emergency but I don't know if the other two are necessary.

Besides that I've ran into another issue. In order to use my wireless internet I believe I need a driver, I was going to hook up my computer to our modem/router and run WUpdates that way but I guess I need a driver to use our modem/router as well. Can you direct me to the driver that I need in order to use my wireless? I was going to download it onto a USB and install it that way. Hopefully then I can connect to the Internet and get all the updates that I need.

Thanks again for all the help David, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 22 (7,507 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you have not formatted the hdd yet, all of your drivers are in a folder on C drive titled Swsetup,Burn it to DVD or copy to external USB drive.Probably best to burn to DVD since you may not be able to access any USB device without the USB driver installed first.

If you have formatted the hdd and didn't make a note of which wireless you have in Device Manager you will need to get the hardware id from Device Manager for someone to look at and find correct driver.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Zerole
Message 9 of 22 (7,503 Views)

Would it be possible for me to use the Recovery drive partition to do either option above and then reformat the HDD again?
Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 22 (7,498 Views)

[ Edited ]

F11 won't work to boot into Recovery drive now.If you burned the Recovery Disk set ,boot from them to reinstall.

If no Recovery DVD was burned, you can try this procedure which has worked for many.

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager to reinstall.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation