Reinstall windows with broken dvd drive (455 Views)
Honor Student
rwingace
Message 1 of 4 (455 Views)

Reinstall windows with broken dvd drive

I have a HP Pavillion DV5-1002nr laptop that has a broken dvd drive and won't boot windows.

When I say broken DVD drive I mean the laptop fell while the DVD drive was open and thus completely broken. So, my issue is now that the laptop won't boot windows how can I reinstall it?

Is there a way to use a USB, SD card, or external hard drive to boot from? If so, how can / where do I get the windows files onto the external device?

Does HP provide such solutions to reboot windows?

Thank you for the help.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (433 Views)

Re: Reinstall windows with broken dvd drive

Have you tried doing the obvious thing and tap the f11 key on start up to boot into the recover process ?

If you have disks it may be easier to simply replace the drive then to try and get it to boot from a USB drive. Replacing a C/DVD ROM is chills play, it's held in there by one screw and when that's removed, it just slips out.

There are no provisions to install Windows from a SD card and it also may be impossible to install it fro a USB port.

The other thing here too is if it was a bad fall and it won't boot anymore, trying to reinstall Windows may not even work. I suspect there is some physical damage that is keeping the machine from starting up.

Keep in mind too that if you reinstall the OS you will erase all your personal stuff. If the hard drive has not been damaged then you can remove the drive and connect it through USB on another computer to rescue your files.

If the laptop does not have and accelerometer to protect the drive while it's running in a free fall, I suspect that the arm that reads the information off of the platter has scratched it. That is the most likely reason that it won't boot any more.

The software in the laptop that protects the drive from a free fall is called HP 3D Drive Guard. Did you ever happen to see this in the control panel ?

Honor Student
rwingace
Message 3 of 4 (422 Views)

Thank for the response.

To provide you with some more information. The laptop worked fine for several months after the DVD drive broke. It later got a virus and would no longer boot. Yes, I tried F11 and all the recovery options to no avail.

I later bought a samsung due to all the issues. However, now I want another laptop to permanately connect to my tv so I would rather fix this one than buy another.

I believe just buying a copy of Vista or 7 and placing them on USB or external HD would be easier and more cost effective than replacing the DVD drive.

Thanks again for the help and let me know if this sounds reasonable.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (413 Views)

Could you define-"Yes, I tried F11 and all the recovery options to no avail"? What exactly happens?Depending on the answer,  It could actually be that the hdd is bad. Have you tried to enter BIOS setup by tapping F10 key and run diagnostics on the hdd?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation