Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I used the Recovery utility to create a recovery thumb drive.  I would like to remove the 7GB recovery partition from the 32 GB SSD on my machine.

How do I do so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It appears the reason that the 7 GB recovery partition cannot be removed (and files cannot be deleted from within the partition) is because the Stream is using WIMBoot where Windows is actually using files contained not just on the C: drive, but also within the recovery partition. This holds down the space requirements on the C: drive, Windows is also accessing files such as the 2.7 GB Custom.Wim and 3.8 GB Install.Wim on the recovery partition.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

HP Recovery Manager should have the option to "Remove the Recovery Partition".

1. Move your mouse to the upper right corner of the screen, click Search, and then type recovery.
  2. In the search results, click HP Recovery Manager.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Cheryl,

Unfortunately, Recovery Manager on the Stream laptops no longer has the option to remove the 7 GB recovery partition which is a problem on a laptop with only 32 GB.  Many people have been struggling with this as I see from reading Amazon reviews.  I have removed it with other tools such as GParted but then Windows will not boot, it seems to do an integrity check on the recovery partition before it will boot. 

Are you with HP?  Could you possibly escalate this issue with someone there?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try going through these steps?

Windows 8.1 should work the same way.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-delete-recovery-partition-in-windows-8/

HP Recommended

Yes, those instructions are from February 2013, the Step 7: Click Delete the recovery partition option is no longer there.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I didn't know that.

I have an ASUS tablet PC that came with W8, and I made the recovery drive using those steps and I could remove the partition by checking that box, which was good because the drive is only 32 GB.

I can't believe they got rid of that check box in W8.1...Good grief!

HP Recommended

It appears the reason that the 7 GB recovery partition cannot be removed (and files cannot be deleted from within the partition) is because the Stream is using WIMBoot where Windows is actually using files contained not just on the C: drive, but also within the recovery partition. This holds down the space requirements on the C: drive, Windows is also accessing files such as the 2.7 GB Custom.Wim and 3.8 GB Install.Wim on the recovery partition.

HP Recommended

A number of laptops and tablets from different manufacturers have the same problem.

The usual reply is:

Use an SD/microSD for the extra storage.

The slightly better reply is:

Install programs directly to the SD card by creating a folder on it called "Program Files" then just change the drive letter when installing.

But some software will not allow you to install to removeable media

The best reply is:

1) Create a new folder on C: called "MicroSD" or similar (your choice)

2) Right-Click on "My Computer/This PC" icon and select Manage

3) Select Disk Management

4) Right-Click on your SD card (usually D:) and select Chang Drive Letter..

5) Click the Add... button

6) Choose "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder" and browse for your new folder

7) Click OK

😎 Return to C: in Windows Explorer and find your new folder, which will now appear as a shortcut

9) Right-Click and select properties

10) de-select "Read only" and click OK

11) Double-click the shortcut and create a new folder "Program Files". If you are on 64 bit windows create another called ("Program Files (x86)"

12) You should now be able to see the "Program Files" folder if you open the D drive with Windows Explorer. This proves it works!

You can now install all and any software on your newly created folder, including all 10GB of Visual Studio 2013!

HP Recommended

I am so glad i just read your answer about deleting the partition on the HP Stream 14.  I am TRYING to get windows 10 installed and had thought to do a clean install from USB since the space is to limited to do a upgrade.   Will this be posible with the partition in place?  I have not seen any posts of Stream 14 users who have already successfully upgraded and dont want to mess things up. 

HP Recommended

@HearingJames wrote:

I am so glad i just read your answer about deleting the partition on the HP Stream 14.  I am TRYING to get windows 10 installed and had thought to do a clean install from USB since the space is to limited to do a upgrade.   Will this be posible with the partition in place?  I have not seen any posts of Stream 14 users who have already successfully upgraded and dont want to mess things up. 

I've just bought a Stream 13.

Intalled Windows 8.1

Inserted Windows 10 x64 USB disk

Installed Windows 10, with option of "Erase Everything"

Deleted "Old Windows" a few days later

Worked fine !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.