Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Every now and then, HP ProtectTools Security Manager Setup pops up on my newly bought HP laptop. If I do the setup and reboot, it still keeps poping up. If I click cancel, it waits a random time between zero and ten minutes before popping up again.

I've tried unchecking it in msconfig, but upon reboot it still launches, and has re-checked its msconfig-entry.

I have a hard time not viewing this software as mal-/bloatware, the way it's behaving. Is this really the way it's supposed to act? And, more importantly, how do I stop it from launching?

Thanks in advance!

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

Could you describe the dialogue box that pops up?  Is it a 3-field dialogue box (asking for a username and password), or is it the full HP Protect Tools application window?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended
Actually, it's neither. It's the Security Manager Setup window, urging me to configure the application. There is also an opportunity to watch a video, among other options.
HP Recommended
Anyone with an idea?
HP Recommended

Hi squall - I've been trying to recreate your issue on my system, but so far haven't been able to. 

Have you downloaded & installed the most recent version of HP Protect Tools?  The software allows for single sign-on (so that once you sign into your PC, the software can automatically sign you into other websites / applications if you choose) and supports biometric security (like the fingerprint reader, if your PC has that).  http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/292230-0-0-225-121.html 

Could you tell me your computer model (e.g., EliteBook 8530w)?  I can then point you to the page that has the most recent version of the software for your system. 

If the updated software doesn't work for you, you should be able to uninstall the application by going to Start->Control Panel->Programs->Programs and Features, then scrolling down to HP Protect Tools and selecting "uninstall" at the top of the screen.  Before uninstalling, be sure that you haven't set up drive encryption using Protect Tools.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended
I have one user with this same problem. Everytime she undocks or docks her Elitebook 2530p, the HP ProtectTools Security Manager pops up. I've repeatedly gone through the setup wizard and set HP ProtectTools login security to off.

The HP ProtectTools Security Manager window will stop popping up for awhile, but then it will come back again (when docking and undocking).

I went to Add\Remove Programs to uninstall it, but was prompted that I would need to uninstall the following applications first.

BIOS Configuration for HP Protect Tools
File Sanitizer for HP Protect tools
HP Embedded Security for Protect Tools
Privacy Manager for HP Protect Tools

Before uninstalling everything, I thought I would check here to see if there is a way to permanently disable the Security Manager.
HP Recommended

IAs per the previous comment,  have a new Elitebook 2530p, I have disabled HP protect tools. When ever the laptop is not docked and my hand passes over the finger print reader the wizard will start the security manager set-up. How do you disable the reader or remove protect tools.

This is a very annoying disfunction.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on my new Elitebook and this is more than just annoying.

Pops up sometimes 10 times an hour and then nothing for days. As there seems no solution from HP this was my last HP I ever bought.

Message Edited by arneds on 10-30-2009 02:26 AM
HP Recommended

You can try disabling the service "hpqwmiex" which is a process associated with HP ProtectTools security manager.

As Administrator, open the "Services" window (part of Administrative Tools) then:

> Scroll down to find "hpqwmiex" (without quote marks) under the "Name" column

> Right click on hpqwmiex and select "Properties"

> The "hpqwmiex Properties" window opens to the "General" tab

> Click the "Stop" button to halt the service

> Once the process stops, click the "Startup type:" drop list button (little down arrow) and select "Disabled"

> Click the "OK" button

The process is now disabled - you can close out of the "Services" window.

Regards,

GEWB

Message Edited by Linux_Rules on 10-30-2009 09:22 AM
HP Recommended

Thank you for your solution. I have the same problem removing the Hp protect tools on my HP Compaq 8710p laptop and unfortunately your solution did not work for me since there is a file missing in the registry, C_SpURsDll, that was removed by my newly installed registry cleaner : Registry Defense.

I also get another error that the resource file c_PsdRsDll is not found, probably remove by the same Registry Defense application! I am not able to run HP Protect tool security manager any longer and i normally use it for all my credentials.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.