Re: Repartioning dv6 hard drive (53 Views)
Student
Rein
Message 1 of 2 (65 Views)

Repartioning dv6 hard drive

Hello,

I'm a little frustrated at the default setup of my HP laptop the dv6 quad.  It uses all 4 primary partitions for Windows x64, Recovery, HP_TOOLS, and yet another small os/recovery partition.  What I want to do is simple and I've never had any trouble doing this on NUMEROUS other laptops of multiple other brands but I can't figure out how to sort out what I want to do without breaking recovery.

I want to simply create one more partition to be my Data partition: this will be seperate from the OS partition but will hold all the user information - docs, music, photos, etc but with a few easy registry changes, it's seen as integrated into the main OS.  However, if you have a problem with the OS, you can reinstall without worrying about data is it's on it's own safe partition and it makes a new install a snap with no additional back up required.

So, what I need is to create an extended partition to hold logical partitions for me to have the ability to do this within the parameters of only 4 primary partitions.

Any suggestions?  I'm familiar with using Gparted Live and done extensive paritioning work in the past.  I just don't want to break anything and currently have NO BACKUP DISCS created as I'm not sure how to best do that (USB, DVD, Recovery AND HP_TOOLS, etc).

Any help or thoughts would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!!'

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (53 Views)

Re: Repartioning dv6 hard drive

Hi,

There is an excellent guide on this subject by Daniel_Potyrala on the following link.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-repartition-HDD-of-HP-notebook-with-...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation