Question

Honor Student
KushalPrabhoo
Message 1 of 8 (4,830 Views)

Restore .wim files - Very Urgent

Hello

I have a compaq presario CQ61 notebook. Due to some operating system problem, i had to restore to factory settings. I took a back up on an external drive and system image was created with .wim extension.

Please can someone guide me on how to restore these files back in readable formats. They are excel and word documents which are converted in disk image.

Thanks and Regards

Kush

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 8 (4,818 Views)

Re: Restore .wim files - Very Urgent

Windows 7? Click Start and type "backup", then select "Backup and Restore" from the list.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Honor Student
KushalPrabhoo
Message 3 of 8 (4,799 Views)

Re: Restore .wim files - Very Urgent

Solved. In the backup folder, there was a recovery manager application.Thank you very much.

Top Student
natacha07
Message 4 of 8 (2,879 Views)

Re: Restore .wim files - Very Urgent/.wim files after a backup on my usb flash drive

Hi, I'm having the same issue and I noticed the person you helped said "solved".  I was wondering if you could help me with a usb flash drive.  I backed up my files with an HP agent after my computer messed and he was helping me reboot.  Now, i've done the whole rebooting, but it's like the computer is completely new without any of my school files.  I inserted the flash drive in the computer, but now all of the files seem to be called .wim files and then at the end, there is one that says RecoveryMgr.  I'm not sure if I should click on that (RecoveryMgr) or each of those .wim files. 

When I do click on the .wim files, it says can't open files.  When I click on RecoveryMgr, it tries to come through the computer and asked permission, but I'm afraid of allowing anything in now after this crash.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 8 (2,875 Views)

Re: Restore .wim files - Very Urgent/.wim files after a backup on my usb flash drive

natacha07 wrote:

Hi, I'm having the same issue and I noticed the person you helped said "solved".  I was wondering if you could help me with a usb flash drive.  I backed up my files with an HP agent after my computer messed and he was helping me reboot.  Now, i've done the whole rebooting, but it's like the computer is completely new without any of my school files.  I inserted the flash drive in the computer, but now all of the files seem to be called .wim files and then at the end, there is one that says RecoveryMgr.  I'm not sure if I should click on that (RecoveryMgr) or each of those .wim files. 

When I do click on the .wim files, it says can't open files.  When I click on RecoveryMgr, it tries to come through the computer and asked permission, but I'm afraid of allowing anything in now after this crash.

Yes double click RecoveryMgr.exe, allow permission, it will unpack the wim files to a folder on the C drive named "system recovery" it will take some time to unpack all the files.

Once it is done you will have to look through the files and folders it created, most of your files should be in Windows\Users folder in the "system Recovery" folder. You will have to move the files where you need them to be.

Top Student
natacha07
Message 6 of 8 (2,873 Views)

Thanks for such a quick reply.  Ok, I'm going to try what you mentioned.  Also, most of the files that I want to recover were microsoft word files for class.  Once I do that process, will those files show as microsoft words, powerpoints and so forth so that I can easily see the names that I initially called them? 

And since my computer was completely reboot to the manufacturer settings, do I need to redownload microsoft office first in order for those files to open once I go through the above process?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 8 (2,872 Views)

Yes the files will look the same as they did before.

If MS office was not installed by HP, then yes you need to reinstall office.

Honor Student
sk48
Message 8 of 8 (1,853 Views)

I realize this is a very old post, but I had the same problem. I was able to get the "system recovery" folder on my desktop and have gone through it and restored some of the file/folders. However, I can't seem to find my email. Would it have been saved and where would I find it in the "system recovery" folder?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation