Question

Honor Student
rkrishnamurthy
Message 1 of 18 (10,370 Views)

Right Click on DV6 Touchpad

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a new HP DV6 and i am having problems with the touch pad.

I am just unable to perform a right click with the touchpad..

i have already set the settings for right button accordingly in the synaptics settings, but i couldnt find a way to perform the right click.

If you guys know how to enable, please let me know.

thanks

Krishna

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 18 (10,348 Views)

Re: Right Click on DV6 Touchpad

So, are you just tapping on the right click zone or are you actually clicking it, as in, when you click are you hearing the clicking sound...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
rkrishnamurthy
Message 3 of 18 (10,343 Views)

I am actually tapping on the right click area...

i can actually hear the click sound only if i double click there.....

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 18 (10,334 Views)

Could i get the exact model number of your unit? plus can you check if the touchpad is sitting flush in to the palmrest and update the touchpad driver to the latest one as well.. sp49242( If Intel) or sp49181 (if AMD)

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
bpickercpa
Message 5 of 18 (10,244 Views)

I have the same problem on a dv7 with the synaptics touchpad. Actually, the left click doesn't work either, but since entire touchpad is technically the same as the left click, that's not an issue.  This is the flat touchpad that has lines to show the left click and right click areas.

I've reinstalled the drivers, tried switching the left click and right click areas, and so far nothing. Was on the phone for an hour with tech support reinstalling drivers, bios, etc.

Basically, I need HP to come over and install a new touchpad, but they're insisting on having me wipe the computer first to see if that works.  That's an exercise in futility, and a waste of my time.  Since HP shipped a machine that is defective, they should be the one inconvenienced, not the purchaser.

Honor Student
DuongLam
Message 6 of 18 (9,984 Views)

I also have the same problem here. I purchased the dv7t, and the right click was not working. Hp let me exchange another one. I just opened it and it also has the same problem. I hope that it requires some technique that trigure the right click!

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 7 of 18 (9,981 Views)

Are you just tapping on the right click zone or actually pressing it? On new HP notebook, the Click Button are now part of Touchpad itself but to register a click you actually need to press it down....

Honor Student
DuongLam
Message 8 of 18 (9,972 Views)

Thank you very much! I actually tapped! not pressed down. It works perfectly! Thanks again :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 9 of 18 (9,971 Views)

You are always welcome! :smileyhappy:

Top Student
Desmo
Message 10 of 18 (9,683 Views)

Ok so I just got a new DV6 laptop too and really struggling with this mousepad.  I do wonder if HP conducted any usability testing with it - so far its awful.

I can left click by double-clicking in the general area so that it not too much of an issue.  Thought for grabbing an objext liek a scroll bar I got used to lightly pressing the left button to grab it.   But a right click requires really hard pressure from me to depress the right side button.  Unlike my Dell it has no purely separate buttons in the back for left and right clicks - they just seem outlines.

Is there a trick to get the popup menu for right click besides using megatons of pressure on it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation