Question

Tutor
tonisb
Message 1 of 4 (8,400 Views)
Accepted Solution

SD CARD READER DOES NOT APPEAR TO WORK?

I have an HP Probook 4520s Windows 7 Pro OS. There is a slot for a card reader in the front of the laptop but when I insert the memory card from my Kodak EasyShare camera (LEXAR Media 64mb) nothing happens. No Autoplay options, nothing shown when I select 'computor', search for devices, etc, ziltch. Do I have the facility to use this card in the machine? Previously, in my last laptop, I have had to insert the card in my 4 in 1 printer and wirelessly transmit pictures. I also have a usb connection for my camera but am trying for the quick easy way. Is this possible?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thankyou, Toni.

Teacher
AaronM0110
Message 2 of 4 (8,385 Views)

Re: SD CARD READER DOES NOT APPEAR TO WORK?

Hello tonisb, thanks for posting!

I also have had some experience with using the Kodak EasyShare cameras. I had the same issue: When I formatted the memory card to work with my Kodak camera, my Windows 7 laptop would not recognize the card at first.

What I had to do was install the Kodak software that came with my camera on the laptop, and then it recognized the memory card instantly. After installing the software I restarted the laptop, then inserted the memory card and it worked.

If this persists it may be an issue with the contacts on the memory card itself as well.

Hope this helps you out! Let me know how it works for you!

If you want to give a thank you or just mark a post as helpful, you can do so by clicking the white Kudos Star!

Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'.
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Tutor
tonisb
Message 3 of 4 (8,363 Views)

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your response. I have the original discs that came with the camera which are obviously old now. I did install them (after your response) which also came with an equally old version of 'Quicktime', both want to do large updates. I uninstalled the Kodak program but could not uninstall Quicktime so eventually did a system restore to delete it (I have Real Player which I prefer and also I hate iTunes .  A new version is available for download but I am reluctant to do that as I already have full version of Corel PhotoShop Pro., All the built in Windows programmes (Windows Media, Total media suite, etc.) I also have full version of Movavi Video Suite 9 so really do not want another 'pictures' program installed. The card obviously works as I can insert it into a Lexmark 4in1 printer and wirelessly export them to my laptop. When I insert it directly into my PC card reader slot no autoplay options appear on screen. I have tried pressing and holding the shift key as advised in one of the forums I read  but still no response, does not appear in 'computor' or 'search for device'. What I am going to do now is find a friend who has a SD card and see if their card works. Once I have tried this I will come back you. I don't want to have to install a new program for every device I have.

I'll be back with report,

Thanks,

Toni.

Tutor
tonisb
Message 4 of 4 (8,354 Views)

Hi Aaron,

I have solved my problem with the SD card reader. I got a SD card from my neighbours camera and it worked first time. My laptop installed a driver and the autoplay popped right up. After that when I insert my own card it is now working fine. Hope this might help someone else who has had the same problem. Thanks for your input.

Kind regards,

Toni.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation