Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, i have the same problem with my laptop, and  even if i press F10 it won't display the bios options

it happened after installing window7

what shoul i do? please help

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unplug your webcam to unlock your keyboard keys.

Locate and prepare the required information (this blog may help).

Download the DMI toolkit here.

Make a bootable usb stick and run the DMI tool that suits your BIOS.

Write the correcte information to the EEPROM and voilà.

HP Recommended

TO FIX THE ISSUE "SERIAL NUMBER NOT FOUND" ON STARTUP:

01.  COPY THE FOLLOWING FROM BOTTOM OF LAPTOP:  MODEL, PRODUCT CODE, SERIAL #, PC-ID (VERY LONG).

02.  UPDATE LAPTOP TO LATEST BIOS THAT IS LISTED UNDER SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS FOR YOUR MODEL ON HP SITE.

03.  INSERT A FLASH DRIVE (AT LEAST 1GB IN SIZE) INTO A USB PORT.

04.  DOWNLOAD (FREE) RUFUS UTILITY FROM HTTPS://RUFUS.AKEO.IE/?LOCALE=EN_US.

05.  RUN IT, YOU WILL GET A POPUP WINDOW, LEAVE PARAMETERS AS-IS EXCEPT CHANGE VOLUME LABEL TO "HP DMI".

06.  CLICK "START", THEN WHEN IT'S DONE CLICK "CLOSE".

07.  NOW YOUR FLASH DRIVE IS BOOTABLE.

08.  DOWNLOAD THE HP DMI UTILITY FROM RGHOST.NET:

--go to rghost.net

--enter "hp dmi" in the search box

--select HP DMI TOOLKIT.zip from the results listed

--a  new screen will open, click the same name at the top of the page to download and save file

09.  EXTRACT ALL FILES (USING WINRAR OR WINZIP) AND COPY ALL EXTRACTED FILES TO THE FLASH DRIVE.

10.  RESTART THE LAPTOP AND PRESS F10 AT THE SPLASH SCREEN TO ENTER THE BIOS SETUP UTILITY.

11.  SET THE BOOT ORDER SUCH THAT THE FLASH DRIVE IS FIRST (IT MAY APPEAR AS "USB DISKETTE ON KEY").

12.  EXIT BIOS, SAVING CHANGES, AND THE LAPTOP WILL RESTART AND BOOT TO THE FLASH DRIVE.

13.  TYPE IN "CD HPDMI" TO SWITCH TO THE FLASH DRIVE DIRECTORY.

14.  TYPE "DMIFIT.BAT".

15.  THIS WILL BRING UP THE EEPROM UTILITY SCREEN.

16.  YOU CAN NOW ENTER THE INFORMATION REQUESTED:

--SERIAL NUMBER (PRESS 0, ENTER SERIAL NUMBER, PRESS ENTER).

--NOTEBOOK MODEL (PRESS 1, ENTER MODEL, PRESS ENTER)

--GUID NUMBER (NO NEED TO CHANGE)

--UUID NUMBER (SELECT "1" TO AUTOMATICALLY GENERATE, PRESS ENTER TO SAVE IT)

--SKU NUMBER (THIS IS THE PRODUCT CODE YOU COPIED DOWN, PRESS ENTER TO SAVE IT)

--CTO LOCALIZATION CODE = "ABA" (PRESS ENTER TO SAVE IT)

--MAC ADDRESS (NO NEED TO CHANGE)

--PC-ID IS THE LONG 25-CHARACTER CODE YOU COPIED DOWN)  PRESS ENTER TO SAVE IT.

--SYSTEM BOARD CT# (NO NEED TO CHANGE)

17.  PRESS "S" TO SAVE ALL THE INFORMATION FROM STEP 16 TO THE EEPROM FILE.

18.  PRESS "W" TO WRITE ALL THE INFORMATION FROM THE EEPROM FILE TO THE BIOS.

19.  PRESS ESC TO EXIT THE PROGRAM

20.  PRESS CTRL/ALT/DEL TO RESTART THE LAPTOP.

21.  PRESS F10 AT SPLASH SCREEN TO GO INTO BIOS, AND CHANGE BOOT ORDER SO HARD DRIVE IS FIRST AGAIN.

22.  EXIT SAVING CHANGES AND RESTART THE LAPTOP. 

23.  "SERIAL NUMBER NOT FOUND" MESSAGE WILL BE GONE.

THIS PROCEDURE WORKED PERFECTLY FOR ME, HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU!

REGARDS!

HP Recommended

Yeah What jazz-man wrote is pretty much it.

The only difference in my case was that i opened the top of the screen slightly and unpluged the camera to unfreez the keyboard. Which is something you can't do for all models.

What happened next was exactly as indicated.

So basically it comes down to the files. If you can find a link for those you're pretty much set.

Let us know if you can't. Me or someone else will post a link. But don't be lazy, have your share of seach engines first 🙂

Regards,

HP Recommended
What would be the number for tech support every Hp support I go to is trying to make me pay a fee
HP Recommended
I have the same issue but hp insisted I pay a fee for having this issue fixed
HP Recommended

You don't need to pay anyone.  Do it yourself following my detailed instructions above.  Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.