Question

Honor Student
enoobony6735
Message 1 of 14 (32,770 Views)

SM Bus Controller driver for HP 6735s

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum so maybe my problem seems abit trivial to some of you guys but its been keeping me busy for 3 full days now.

I recently installed windows XP pro. on my HP 6735s. I managed to find all the drivers online on HP website but I did not find any driver for "SM Bus Controller"

and this is the only component in device manager which is not installed properly and I have no idea what to do about it. I googled it and tried all the websites I could think of but didn't find this driver.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

here is my system info:

Model: HP Compaq 6735s

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 DualCore QL-62   2.0 Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 14 (32,752 Views)

Re: SM Bus Controller driver for HP 6735s

SM Bus Controller driver is chipset driver, bundled in AMD/ATI Video graphic driver, try to reinstall the chipset driver.

or

Download South Bridge Driver individually, Here

Please do not forgot to Install .Net Framework next Here before installing AMD/ATI Video/Chipset drivers.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Tutor
Cshaba
Message 3 of 14 (27,596 Views)

Hy enoobony6735!

I just want to ask two questions of you regarding your 6735s laptop, since I own the same machine and has the same problems. (Win-Xp OS)

How were you able to install your sound card correctly? Whatever driver I install, the driver manager keeps telling me that "a modem on High Definition Audio bus" is an unknown device. What driver do you use for audio?

Were you able to fix your error with ATI SMBus? If yes then what did you find as a fix? I found a download at HP's website (sp29374) for this known issue, but the issue itself was for Pavilon laptops and such, and since the file is a BIOS flash/update, I don't realy want to just test it out on my 6735s.

Cshaba

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 14 (27,581 Views)

Hi:

Did you install the MS UAA driver for your audio card?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Paul

Tutor
Cshaba
Message 5 of 14 (27,393 Views)

I did!

But check this post from me please, it describes the problem with some more specifics.:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/6735s-Modem-on-High-Definition-Auido-bus/m-...

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 14 (27,388 Views)

Hi:

I think we are overlooking the obvious here.

You say the missing device states it is a Modem on High Definition Audio bus... well, here is what I looked into.

First, I looked at the driver download page for your notebook.  There are no modem drivers.

Then I looked at the quickspecs for your notebook, and indeed the specs show where a modem jack is on your notebook and it lists that the notebook comes with a modem.

Well, since there are no modem drivers listed, I did a seach on the internet for 6735s modem driver and found several postings about this problem.

One posting led me to this link to download modem drivers which supposedly will fix your missing modem problem.

Please give it a try and let us know if that solved the problem.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-493...

Paul

Tutor
Cshaba
Message 7 of 14 (27,374 Views)

I'm sorry if the lack of my searching skills have made you feel somewhat funny, but the given link just fixed the problem. Thanks teacher! ; )

Honor Student
PosiJohn
Message 8 of 14 (19,600 Views)

Hi, 

I have the same laptop and I believe the same problem.

I cannot connect to the internet through LAN, only wireless. I have installed and updated every driver. The only device in device manager that is not running properly is Other Devices - SM Bus Controller. The network card is not being found yet the laptop recognises that there is a cable plugged in(the lights are flashing on the port)

I have checked the BIOS and it is enabled. 

This problem has only appeared since I replaced Vista with XP.

I'm really unsure how to fix it, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 14 (19,598 Views)

Honor Student
PosiJohn
Message 10 of 14 (19,597 Views)

That is installed and is showing up in device manager. I really cannot understand why it's not working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation