Question
Screen displays preparing automatic repair only.
Replies (58)

Top Student
Outinte
Message 41 of 59 (9,098 Views)

Re: Screen displays preparing automatic repair only.

Called support and the hard drive in my computer went bad new computer but it was giving me the same issue that everyone else is having with the preparing automatic repair only just thought that u should know that could be the problem
Honor Student
bejt68
Message 42 of 59 (8,974 Views)

i got an HP envy m6 with windows 8 in december. since then, it has been running well. i've had very few problems with it. until this morning. i turned on my computer and logged in and it was working like it normally does. then i noticed that it couldn't connect to any wifi networks. this has happened once or twice before, and a restart always fixed it, so i restart my computer. when it was booting back up, it came up with the message "starting automatic repair" and then the screen went black and stayed that way for about 10 minutes. i tried doing a hard shut down a few times, but the same thing happened. it has now been sitting on the black screen for about 45 minutes and nothing has come up on it since the automatic repair message. i did not get any restore disks with my laptop. what should i do? i have tried contacting hp, but that was no help.

Student
Solid_gabe136
Message 43 of 59 (8,622 Views)

i managed to work around this but i dont know if it may work for the same people who experiencing this issue...

for me i had the automatic repair issue and all of a sudden my computer restarted itself it was black for 2-3 seconds after it said "analyzing pc" then during that interval or whenever you turn it on and you see a black screen all i did was press f11 really fast and it got me into a recovery menu . So i tried completely reinstalling windows and it actually worked to do this simply go to hp recovery manager from the recovery mode and click on windows recovery environemnt this completely restores your computer like new

also my computer restarted many times ,it said that it was installing software and it seemed like it was in a loop but after it restarted 4-5 times the pc stopped getting the loop

Honor Student
atrejo92
Message 44 of 59 (8,232 Views)

I am having the same issue;however, I digital upgraded to windows 8
Honor Student
atrejo92
Message 45 of 59 (8,229 Views)

My laptop said it was configuring an update and restarted and then the screen went blank. Now it says automatic repair and the screen just stays black
HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 46 of 59 (8,176 Views)

Hi atrejo92. What model of notebook do you have?

How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number or Product Number?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00033108

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Darkly
Message 47 of 59 (7,704 Views)

I'm having a similar problem with my Envy m6 - it tells me Preparing for Automatic Repair then goes black. It fell last night from a height of 3 feet smack on its bottom (it's fallen before but not from so high and it's fallen on a corner first and worked fine). I have Windows 8 and no disks and, ugh. I really hope someone could at least tell me what might've gotten messed up.
HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 48 of 59 (7,657 Views)

Dear Darkly:

Thank yoiu for your inquiry.   I understand that your laptop fell, and you are now getting an Automatic repair message, and goes to a black screen. I am pleased to be of assistance!  I am providing  you with some documentation, to assist you in this endeavor.Computer Does not Start (Windows 8)  click here.You may  want to consider doing a system restore, back to a known good date.Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8)  click here. You could also use the Recovery option.Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)  click here. I would suggest you run the UEFI diagnostics to test  the hardware, to ensure no damage occurred during the fall.click here.  Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
rochelle08
Message 49 of 59 (7,208 Views)

My pavilion hp laptop without a cd room says preparing automatic repair but later on it seen black.I'll used the explorer internet earlier but it shut down so i press to on but this is hapen....What can I do?

Honor Student
Jan_Keyzer
Message 50 of 59 (6,971 Views)

The best advice when you get stuck in the cycle of prepair automatic repair press F11 every second (use watch ) then you will get out of the cycle and can continue with repairs. This I found on HP Site and actualy did get me out of the cycle and I was able to fully restore all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation