Question

Honor Student
Sylvana
Message 1 of 7 (327 Views)

Security Settings

Hi all

I've had my HP Notebook for a few months now running on MS Home Starter with Kaspersky.  Everything was going smoothly, got my dongle, etc.... and then I decided to download Picasa which is a free photo editing application.  It kept telling me my security settings would not let me, so I turned everything off i could think off, but it still wouldn't let me..... Am I missing something?  is there maybe a hidden setting that I can't find?  I also get these pop ups at the bottom of the screen when I'm browsing asking me if i want to open or save files and which I don't seem to be able to remove.....HELP!  I wouldn't call myself an expert but I think i've been using computers long enough to work out these settings..... or maybe not....  I need to download an upgrade to MS software so any suggestions gratefully received...

Grad Student
Neon4499
Message 2 of 7 (286 Views)

Re: Security Settings

Hi,

Can you specify which security options did you turn off?

Can you attach a screenshot of the pop ups that you see at the bottom of the screen?

These pop ups could be a more serious problem than picasa not working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Honor Student
Sylvana
Message 3 of 7 (284 Views)

hi - thanks for your reply -  will try a download and grab some screenshots.  I definitely turned off the firewall, but will have another look at the Kaspersky panel and let you know. thanks again.

Honor Student
Sylvana
Message 4 of 7 (230 Views)

These are two of the messages i'm getting - all suggestions welcome.

error screen 1.jpgerror screen 2.jpg

Grad Student
Neon4499
Message 5 of 7 (175 Views)

Hi Sylvana,

Even if you try to cancel those 2 files, they will re appear later?

Can you copy the address details in the first screenshot. I can't make it out from screenshot

Some suggestions

- Try to clear the browsing history

- Check that your homepage setting hasn't been set to some weird address.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grad Student
Neon4499
Message 6 of 7 (170 Views)

Hi sylvana,

It would be great if you could attach a clear image of your first screenshot. I can't make out the details on the address bar and the popup at the bottom at the screen.

thanks

Honor Student
Sylvana
Message 7 of 7 (119 Views)

hi - i've actually managed to sort out the downloading problem (no idea what i did but i just managed to download Snagit), so my problem is the constant prompting for addons, etc such as this....  I restored the system back a couple of months and this seems to have sorted the downloading, Just need to remember which setting the addon/download manager is on.  many thanks for your help!

addon question.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation