Should I install Windows 7 onto my Pavilion dv5-1125nr (2063 Views)
Honor Student
christinab
Message 1 of 3 (2,063 Views)

Should I install Windows 7 onto my Pavilion dv5-1125nr

I just purchased windows 7 ulitimate 64 bit was ready to install until I ran the compatibility checker and I got this message:

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.
  •  
    • Keyboard Filter
  •  
    These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
  •  
    • ATI CATALYST Install Manager *
    • ATI Catalyst Control Center *
    • HP Quick Launch Buttons
    • McAfee Backup and Restore
    • I have not been able to update the keyboard filter as directed and after seeing all the problems that other people are experiencing after trying to upgrade I am wondering if it is worth all the trouble. HAs anyone with this same type of computer succesfully installed windows 7. Also is it safe for me to uninstall the programs it is indicating me to uninstall. I am not sure what the ATI catalyst and regarding the HP quick launch buttons will those be rendered inactive if I upgrade?
      I appreaciate any help.
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 3 (2,056 Views)

Re: Should I install Windows 7 onto my Pavilion dv5-1125nr

Here is a longish thread about your ATI CATYLIST Install Manager and the Control Centre.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/ATI-Catalyst-Install-Manager-and-catalys...

From the information on that thread, it's the driver for your display. One person has had luck with the info. from Daniel Potyrala, while others have went to the link to the sight of the display driver itself and that worked out.

Uninstall the Quick Launch Buttons before W7 and reinstall them after words. Your model supports W7 :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795326

Here is another link on how to do a clean install of W7. I prefer a clean install over the upgrade as it gets rid of all the Vista baggage. When I do a W7 install I like to delete the hard drive entirely, install W7 and put the necessary drivers in one by one.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

This useful tutorial is from Cheryl G.

Before you start any of this create a set of recovery disc's using the recovery manager :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=u...

This is for a different laptop, but the tutorial is the the same. The one for your machine only gave the one for W7 and none for Vista.

The key board filter refers to the touch pad above the key board.

The most important thing you can do right now is create the recovery disc's in case the install of W7 doesn't work out. Some have chosen to leave the Vista recovery partition in tact, but ounce W7 has been installed trying to recover back to Vista may not work because the partition was designed to be used in Vista. Some have succeeded and some have not.

If you have the disc's, they are bootable and do not require that Vista be running on the laptop for them to work.

One more thing. Go to drive "C" and look for the folder SwSetup. Burn that to a DVD or save it to a flash drive. In there are your drivers for Vista which should work with W7. There is all the software that you may want to reinstall after the upgrade like Microsoft Works and Cyberlink DVD suite. These may not be included with you W7 Ultimate disc.

My self Cheryl, Daniel and others will be here to help you if you need us.

Here is another thread that covers what I have already mentioned as well as some other useful information.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Upgrading-to-windows-7-without-the-HP-Wi...

Also, when you install W7, install it as a trial first. It will give you 30 days to make sure everything is running well. Ounce you are satisfied you can enter the product key later. The advantage to this is if you simply can't get things to work out you still have the unregistered product key in tact and you may be able to sell it or use it on another machine.

Honor Student
christinab
Message 3 of 3 (2,034 Views)

Re: Should I install Windows 7 onto my Pavilion dv5-1125nr

Thank you so much .I will attempt this when I have more time because there are several steps I need to do like backing up and making recovery disks. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for explaining things for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation