Question

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 1 of 18 (24,814 Views)

SimplePass 2011 5.3.1.7 update for Windows 7/64bit / dv6-6170

[ Edited ]

This Post is a Response for the PM from Khaled:

Khaled,

The SimplePass 5.3.1.7 should work for your new updated system setup with Windows 7  Ultimate, 64bit.  I run this OS on one of my notebooks.

Install the Validity Sensor First,

then the SimplePass Software Second.

Below are the instructions extracted from the full Guideline.  These should be enough to get you back on track.  Take a look.  Note that the "SimplePass 2012" seems to be now called SimplePass 2011 5.3.1.7 by HP.  (It was always this version, the name thing just like everything else in SimplePass, the name and context are somewhat confusing.  My apologies for my part in any of this...)

Let me know how you fare!

====================================================================================

SimplePass Installation V1.3A

The purpose of the document is to facilitate the installation (or reinstallation) of the Validity Sensor Driver and the SimplePass Software.  Read through the document before starting – there are extra steps intended to help in the event there are installation issues.  Depending on your situation, most the steps are not necessary for successful installation.

Hint:  Close other programs before using this procedure – You will need at least one Restart / Reboot for most installations.

Notebook Users: If you are following the procedure because you are having issues with SimplePass, first try resetting your Notebook.

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note: You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out.  If you like, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

Export the Webcard Database:

If you have working SimplePass software, Export your Webcards before proceeding.  In the event that you must remove the SimplePass software, your webcard backup can be used (imported) to restore your website login information.

Start SimplePass > Settings > Export     NOTE:  File will be named *.tsd

SimplePass Versions – software and driver versions “go together”:

(Old) SimplePass 2011 V5.0.1.455 - software controls the password database

Goes with

(Old) Validity Sensor 4.3.118.0 - driver controls the fingerprint hardware

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePass 2011 V5.3.1.7 (This version may be called SimplePass 2012 in some cases.)

Goes with

Validity Sensor Driver 4.3.205.0 (or later)

=========================================================================

EDITS 25-JUNE-2012

There is a new version of HP SimplePass 2012 available from Autentec that solves many of the issues that plague previous versions of SimplePass.  At writing, the version is SimplePass 5.4.0.620

Depending on whether you are using the Firefox browser, the installation is either straight forward or a little bit complicated (not bad)...

SimplePass 5.4 goes with Validity Sensor 4.3.205.0

To update to SimplePass to 5.4, go to the Authentec Website.  NOTE!!  If you are using Firefox, then you must, must do this in a controlled and particular fashion.

Without Firefox, just

• Download and Install SimplePass 5.4.x (right over the top of 5.3.x) from Authentec

SimplePass HPLite32_build_5.4.0.620

WITH Firefox, See my Post:

HP SimplePass 5.3 / 2012 and Firefox 11 - SimplePass 5.4

end of edits

==========================================================================

NOTE:  SimplePass Digital Persona is a different software and is NOT addressed here.

Remember:  Install Drivers FIRST - Install the software Second.

Assure that you have copies of your driver and SimplePass software installation packages:

Go to the top of this Forum page - to Support and Drivers

• Enter your notebook model number
  • Open the HP web page for your Product / Model
  • Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  • Select “Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver” (Newest Version)
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location.

If installing SimplePass 5.3, 

• Go to category Software - Security section and click to open
  • Select the SimplePass package
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location. 

Check for Current Validity Sensor Driver Version

One of the paths to get this information…

Control Panel > “view by” icons > Biometric Devices > Properties > Driver >

Look at “Driver Version”

Check for Current SimplePass Software Version:

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Scroll down (sort by Name, if desired) >

Look for HP SimplePass > Look in Column “Version

Install New / Replacement Validity Sensor Driver (sp*):

Anytime there is a previous version of the driver on the computer, it may need to be removed.  The “Delete” driver option removes the current driver.  Do not remove the existing driver unless you have its replacement available.

• Control panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor > Uninstall > Delete
  • Reboot (Restart the computer)
  • Install the Validity Sensor Driver installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

Install SimplePass Software:

• Anytime there is a previous version of SimplePass on your system, you may need to remove it.  Do not remove the older version until you have the new version downloaded.  To Remove:  Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > find the older version, Right-Click, and Uninstall it
  • Reboot the computer.  NOTE:  This step is optional and recommended.
  • Install the SimplePasssoftware that you downloaded.  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

====================================================================================

I hope this helps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give Kudos for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution” to say issue is solved.

Always Include:  (Exact Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
KhaledMBadawy
Message 2 of 18 (24,784 Views)

Re: SimplePass 2011 5.3.1.7 update for Windows 7/64bit / dv6-6170

SimplePass 2011 V5.3.1.7 (This version may be called SimplePass 2012 in some cases.) Goes with Validity Sensor Driver 4.3.205.0 (or later)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already have this version for the driver and the sensor and its what i told u in the msg who tell me ( sensor not connected , please connect sensor and try again )

i really got crazy with this problem :smileysad:

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 3 of 18 (24,753 Views)

Khaled,

Rats.  I am sorry it is not working.

It's important to cover details.

Having the right version and reinstalling the driver at the right time is not the same thing.

I am trying to make the point that the driver is sensitive to when it is kicked, not just that it is the right version of the driver.

Order of Events.

If you have re-Installed the Driver First and that did not Kick it free, then try a Reset on the computer.

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Power on - Log in

** Note: You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out.  If you like, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

I hope this helps!

Say “Thanks!” for the Help by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
KhaledMBadawy
Message 4 of 18 (24,745 Views)

thanks anyway but nothing changed , i made like what u tell me exactly but the same stubed msg , Sensor not connected , Please connect a sensor and try again ..
I got sick of this problem , i'm on my way to hate this laptop really .. after i was so loving it .
I don't know what to do really :smileysad:
Top Student
KhaledMBadawy
Message 5 of 18 (24,744 Views)

I'm sure there are someway to connect the sensor with this stubed program , but i don't know what isit ..
If there are any other good programs please tell me about it , because thats really sucks ..
thanks again for helping me ..
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 18 (24,731 Views)

[ Edited ]

Khaled,

I am sorry it is not working.  There is no magic here.  The proper chain of events, if the hardware is working, is pretty straight forward.

When you get in trouble, you have to stomp harder on it.

Do this:

• Clear System of Driver (delete driver) and Software (remove software)
  • Clean Registry
  • Install Driver
  • Reboot
  • Install Software

I have added a Registry Cleaning to the list.  The registry should be taking care of itself and it usually does so.  It is possible that something is "stuck".  It is possible that the registry cleaner will take care of any residual errors from the installations and removal of the software over the last couple of days.

Tools List:

Registry Cleaner – CCleaner (Download the free version):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

NOTE about using CCleaner:  IF you use the Applications cleaner tab in CCleaner (this is a separate section from the registry cleaner), be sure to check/uncheck the program list or CCleaner might remove things you may want to keep.

NOTES on Registry Cleaners:

Registry cleaners will usually do no harm – however, anytime you affect the registry with changes, you risk your system’s stability.  CCleaner does include the offer to make a backup of your registry prior to making any changes.

If you select to download and install another registry cleaner, please uninstall CCleaner.  One of these things on the system at a time is enough…

If a registry Cleaner does not offer to do a backup prior to making changes: be sure you EXPORT the registry manually PRIOR to using the cleaner.  If anything happens that you don’t expect, you will have an extra layer of protection on which to fall back.

IMO: Stay away from Registry Mechanic.  I have had this on my systems – it has been cleansed, removed, deleted, and dropped in the Zeros bucket.  This is a Personal Opinion.

===========================================================================

IF, after you do the above steps, the software still does not work, then you can try using one or more of the driver installation Methods as shown below.

Different (Re)installation Methods for the Validity Sensor Driver

NOTES on Installation Issues:

If you have issues installing the Validity Sensor Driver:

• Add registry cleaning before the Reboot (or “Scan for Hardware Changes”) See “Tools List
  • Before or after an install attempt, you may try an “Update”.  Results vary depending on what is on the computer now and what’s available as a replacement.

Many issues with SimplePass can be tracked back to stubborn driver issues.  If you continue to have issues, try cleaning out the registry after each attempt.  Software and Driver uninstallations leave “bits” in the registry.  Most of the time, these are not harmful – the registry is built to handle “bits”:  Sometimes the registry can become mired.  This can happen anytime, it may be more likely when one is adding and removing registry entries several times.  Installing and removing Software and Drivers adds and removes registry entries.

Reinstall the Current Validity Sensor Driver:

• Control panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor > Uninstall
  • Scan For Hardware Changes (or Restart / Reboot)

Installation from within the Device Manager

Sometimes the driver just will not reinstall properly.  Installing from a previously installed package sometimes works when nothing else will provide results.  You will have to have installed the driver at least one time for this method to work.

Installation from SWSetup:

If the driver package is still on the system from a previous installation attempt, it is located in C:\SWSetup\sp*.

You can tell the Device Manager to access and install the Installation package on the system:

Control Panel > icons > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click Validity Sensor … >

Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software

Browse to C:\SWSetup\sp* 

o   Input the exact name of the installation package in place of “sp*

o   Be sure the “Include Subfolders” box is CHECKED

Installation from the Driver Store (device drivers already in the computer):

Unless they are removed, all device drivers are stored in the computer.  It’s a bit tedious to track them down and one needs a specialized program to reuse these drivers.  Fortunately, the system keeps track of the drivers it needs and can frequently reinstall a driver from this source.  All you need to know is the correct Version; for example “4.3.205.00”.

Control Panel > icons > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click Validity Sensor … >

Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software >

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my system >

Select the proper device Version from the list >   Next

Restart / Reboot the computer

EDITS 25-JUNE-2012

There is a new version of HP SimplePass 2012 available from Autentec that solves many of the issues that plague previous versions of SimplePass.  At writing, the version is SimplePass 5.4.0.620

Depending on whether you are using the Firefox browser, the installation is either straight forward or a little bit complicated (not bad)...

SimplePass 5.4 goes with Validity Sensor 4.3.205.0

To update to SimplePass to 5.4, go to the Authentec Website.  NOTE!!  If you are using Firefox, then you must, must do this in a controlled and particular fashion.

Without Firefox, just

• Download and Install SimplePass 5.4.x (right over the top of 5.3.x) from Authentec

SimplePass HPLite32_build_5.4.0.620

WITH Firefox, See my Post:

HP SimplePass 5.3 / 2012 and Firefox 11 - SimplePass 5.4

end of edits

I hope this helps!

Say “Thanks!” for the Help by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
azizi
Message 7 of 18 (24,674 Views)

Re: Simplepass 2011 5.3.1.7 update for Windows 7/64bit / dv6-6170

Dragon-Fur wrote:

This Post is a Response for the PM from Khaled:

Khaled,

The SimplePass 5.3.1.7 should work for your new updated system setup with Windows 7  Ultimate, 64bit.  I run this OS on one of my notebooks.

Install the Validity Sensor First,

then the SimplePass Software Second.

Below are the instructions extracted from the full Guideline.  These should be enough to get you back on track.  Take a look.  Note that the "SimplePass 2012" seems to be now called SimplePass 2011 5.3.1.7 by HP.  (It was always this version, the name thing just like everything else in SimplePass, the name and context are somewhat confusing.  My apologies for my part in any of this...)

Let me know how you fare!

SimplePass Installation V1.3

The purpose of the document is to facilitate the installation (or reinstallation) of the Validity Sensor Driver and the SimplePass Software.  Read through the document before starting – there are extra steps intended to help in the event there are installation issues.  Depending on your situation, most the steps are not necessary for successful installation.

Hint:  Close other programs before using this procedure – You will need at least one Restart / Reboot for most installations.

Notebook Users: If you are following the procedure because you are having issues with SimplePass, first try resetting your Notebook.

Hard Reset:

• Power on - Log in

Export the Webcard Database:

If you have working SimplePass software, Export your Webcards before proceeding.  In the event that you must remove the SimplePass software, your webcard backup can be used (imported) to restore your website login information.

Start SimplePass > Settings > Export     NOTE:  File will be named *.tsd

SimplePass Versions – software and driver versions “go together”:

(Old) SimplePass 2011 V5.0.1.455 - software controls the password database

Goes with

(Old) Validity Sensor 4.3.118.0 - driver controls the fingerprint hardware

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePass 2011 V5.3.1.7 (This version may be called SimplePass 2012 in some cases.)

Goes with

Validity Sensor Driver 4.3.205.0 (or later)

NOTE:  SimplePass Digital Persona is a different software and is NOT addressed here.

Remember:  Install Drivers FIRST - Install the software Second.

Assure that you have copies of your driver and SimplePass software installation packages:

Go to the top of this Forum page - to Support and Drivers

• Enter your notebook model number
  • Open the HP web page for your Product / Model
  • Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  • Select “Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver” (Newest Version)
  • Go to category Software - Security section and click to open it.
  • Select the SimplePass package

Check for Current Validity Sensor Driver Version

One of the paths to get this information…

Control Panel > “view by” icons > Biometric Devices > Properties > Driver >

Look at “Driver Version”

Check for Current SimplePass Software Version:

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Scroll down (sort by Name, if desired) >

Look for HP SimplePass > Look in Column “Version

Install New / Replacement Validity Sensor Driver (sp*):

Anytime there is a previous version of the driver on the computer, it may need to be removed.  The “Delete” driver option removes the current driver.  Do not remove the existing driver unless you have its replacement available.

• Control panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor > Uninstall > Delete
  • Reboot (Restart the computer)
  • Install the Validity Sensor Driver installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

Install SimplePass Software:

• Anytime there is a previous version of SimplePass on your system, you may need to remove it.  Do not remove the older version until you have the new version downloaded.  To Remove:  Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > find the older version, Right-Click, and Uninstall it
  • Reboot the computer.  NOTE:  This step is optional and recommended.
  • Install the SimplePasssoftware that you downloaded.  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

I hope this helps!

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Student
ashishjaiswal
Message 8 of 18 (21,664 Views)

ashish

Top Student
nixnix
Message 9 of 18 (17,952 Views)

Re: Simplepass 2011 5.3.1.7 update for Windows 7/64bit / dv6-6170

[ Edited ]

"NOTE:  SimplePass Digital Persona is a different software and is NOT addressed here."

Hi! It may not be the right place for such a question - but nevertheless, as I got a bit confused about so many SimplePass software versions (Authentec, Digital Persona, EgisTec, ...) and drivers - I'd be very grateful for any comment on the following issues I have.

After a year or so I'd like to get my fingerprint reader to work (made a fresh install of Win7 then - so it's not the default version of OS on my notebook) and have so far tried installing/uninstalling various software to get it working.

As there seems to be many software packages out there - just for instance:

sp55909 = SimplePass by Digital Persona 64 bit

sp55910 = SimplePass by Digital Persona 32 bit

sp55664 = SimplePass 2011 (by Authentec ???)

sp47594 = Validity Fingerprint Sensor driver 2010

sp53369 = Validity Fingerprint Sensor driver 2011 

I'd like to ask you if that would be the right combination of software/driver for my configuration: sp53369 + sp55909?

I'm running Windows7 Professional 64-bit on a HP Elitebook 8540p (WD919EA).

The main problem is that I got stuck in the middle of unistalling HP ProtectTools (trying to uninstall I get an error) that prevent me to install Digital Persona. I will be dealing with ProtectTools later today (seems to have been a relatively common issue) ...

In case I succeed to uninstall this, I'd like to ask if the combination seems alright in my case.

Thanks for your hints and answers!

N.

EDIT: I'd like my Fingerprints only for the windows login, no browser and other support is needed as I'm using LastPass.

Student
madsida
Message 10 of 18 (11,094 Views)

simple pass og support assistant don,t work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation