HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
11-20-2012 03:48 PM
I've been using SimplePass on my notebook since I bought it in August for my web passwords. Today, the system looked like it needed to be rebooted because it wouldn't read my fingerprint. After rebooting, I get Program Operation Error. I rebooted with the same problem.
Simplepass was no longer in the installed programs list.
I downloaded and attempted to reinstall Simplepass. Install hung prior copying files, but Simplepass was back in the programs list.
I tried repair. I still got Program Operation Error
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It started but said there was no biometric device. The Validity sensor has the current driver and works for Windows login.
That was the one time that it worked. Now it says Program Operation Error when starting again, or that may happen when the add-on is enabled. I can't really tell.
I'm guessing that all my passwords will be lost. Any ideas? This is the kind of problem that makes me distrust a vendor. This stuff HAS to be rock solid or it shouldn't be on the market.
11-20-2012 05:17 PM
It's software - no rocks in Software. It's all buggy, it is just a matter of degree. Smiling.
For Future Reference:
If you can get the database to open at all, that is, if you can get the "Splash" / SimplePass program to open so you can get to the "settings", then you can "Export" your webcards (your passwords) and you won't lose anything that you cannot redo or live without. You have to keep an updated backup of your webcards around, just like you keep an updated Bookmarks or Contacts list - then when the program blows up you can Import the backup.
You have already removed and Installed the program at this point (you say), so Yes, in this instance, your Passwords are gone. If you do have an old backup (a .tsd file created from an Export), then that is your latest and greatest hope to restore your Webcard passwords once you get the program fixed and running again.
SimplePass is REALLY picky about "Order of Events":
- Install the Validity Sensor Driver FIRST, then a Reboot
- Install (or Repair) the SimplePass Software Second, set up the Basics, then another Reboot. SimplePass loves a Reboot.
Try this First:
- Go into the Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor > Right Click and Uninstall the Driver, Reboot (Do NOT delete the driver)
- Go into Programs and Features, find SimplePass, Right Click and "Repair" >> Reboot
If No Joy...
- If nothing is working at all, then remove SimplePass AND the Driver -- Reboot the system and start over.
IF you have removed both Driver and Software previously and it did not work, then add this:
- Open the Registry, Export it (make a backup), and then clear out any References to SimplePass. This is rather harsh, and you can get into trouble in the Registry, so "BEWARE" that you are on your own on this one. It may have to be done, but it is not without some risk.
I am assuming that because you have removed the Software previously and reinstalled it, that you have the downloaded package that you need for installation. If you do not, then you need to make sure you have it in your Downloads folder or in your Recovery Manager.
- Go to your computer's website (Start at Support and Drivers ), and download a copy of your Validity Sensor package.
- Download the latest HP Framework while you are there.
- Install the latest HP Framework on your System, and REBOOT.
- Go to the Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right Click on that Validity Sensor and Uninstall it
- IF you have a downloaded copy of the Driver, you can ALSO delete that driver while you are Unisntalling it -- there is a box for you do select to do so when you do the Unistall...
- Go to Programs and Features > Find and Remove that SimplePass Software -- Do that extra cleanout in the registry if you must. Be careful and remember to do the Export (backup) before you make changes to the Registry!
- Reboot the system
- If you Deleted that Validity Driver, Install it from your Downloaded Package (the one you retrieved from your computer's website).
- Reboot the System (yes, again)
- Install the SimplePass Software
- Set up the Basics -- Fingerprints, that sort of thing... ONE MORE REBOOT.
Unless your File System is hosed, or something else weird is going on, then this may work to fix SimplePass.
If the File system is hosed, then you can try running "sfc /scannow" in CMD as Admin -- look it up or ask for help...
OK.... Let me know what happens.
Click the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the provided help or information.
Make it easier for others to find Solutions!
Mark my answer "Accept as Solution" when it provides a solution or workaround.
ALWAYS provide your Product Number (exact Model) and your full Operating System information.
If we know what you have, we can better answer your question(s).
HP will never call you on the phone and ask for money to 'keep your PC safe'.
Say, "No, thanks", and hang up!