Question

Honor Student
rveeck
Message 1 of 5 (292 Views)

SimplePass stopped working after BIOS update. Windows can't find any biometric devices

I can no longer use my biometic scanner on to log into websites.  My HP DV6-7398ca computer had an automatic bios update today and now I cannot use my biometric scanner.  When I open a website, now I can only enter in the master password, rather than use my findertip.  My bios version is Insyde F.28 7/25/2013.  Running an Intel Core i7-3630QM.  I am running Windows 8, but primarily use it in 'desktop' mode. Anybody have any suggestions for this?  I can't seem to figure it out.  Also realized that I can nolonger use Excel or Word.

Associate Professor
VJ_R
Message 2 of 5 (276 Views)

Re: SimplePass stopped working after BIOS update. Windows can't find any biometric devices

Hi

I went through same sort of problems after a resent Windows update in my case not BIOS update.. But it's wort a try..

Run a system restore to any day before the windows update ran.. and most of your issues will be fixed..

Now once that is done go to windows updates in control panel and change the settings of the updates to manual rather than automatic.. to fix the office issue.. check for updates and when it comes up with the updates found click on the and untick or hide the following updates 

KB 2817630, KB 2810009, KB 2760411, KB 2760588, and KB 2760583

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-botches-still-more-patches-in-latest-automati...

Hope this helps.

***** Click the KUDOS Thumbs UP (Like) on the left to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Kudos"if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Associate Professor
VJ_R
Message 3 of 5 (275 Views)

Re: SimplePass stopped working after BIOS update. Windows can't find any biometric devices

HI

Let me know if it works for you or not.

Hope this helps.

***** Click the KUDOS Thumbs UP (Like) on the left to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Kudos"if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 5 (261 Views)

Hi rveeck,

VJ_R's solution should work as it does remove recent updates and changes made on the system level.

You might consider the following:

• Set your HP Support Assistant to notify you when updates are available -- do not let the HPSA install a BIOS update for your computer.  Check your computer's website for BIOS updates and only install / update your BIOS when you believe the action is necessary or if you are having issues for which that particular BIOS update was written.

• For this issue, you might take a look at the following:

Look for and open the document named  Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

If you are already running the latest version of HP SimplePass, you might  jump down to the bottom section in the document:  "Enable biometric support" explains what may have happened when the BIOS was updated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your BIOS is already "enabled" for BIOMETIRICS and other fixes fail to help, then you might perform the Hard Reset as described in the document titled Forced Power Reset – Hard Reset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who offer to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
rveeck
Message 5 of 5 (253 Views)

Thank you for the replies. I figurd out what was wrong about an hour after my post.  My 'validity sensor' stopped working.  I checked for updates and I was up to date.  However, I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it with the same update version and the problem was resolved.  The problem may have been tied to a Norton 360 uninstall and reinstall (Norton 360 kept coming up with errors that it could not autofix).  Anyway, when Norton 360 restarted my computer, the BIOS updates just happened to start.  I am not knowledgable enough to know what was the root cause.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation