SoftThinks (5655 Views)
Top Student
Message 1 of 3 (5,655 Views)

SoftThinks

I have an HP Pavilion dv5 notebook using Windows Vista operating system.   I keep getting messages saying that SoftThinks(which came installed on the computer) is not compatible with Vista.

Is there a fix?  If so, where/how do I download it?  

I've seen where others have asked this or a similar question about SoftThinks but I've yet to see an anwer.  Thanks much if you can help.

Sincerely,

Bill Kennedy

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 3 (5,645 Views)

Re: SoftThinks

Have you checked your models updates/drivers page at HP for an update for Recovery Manager,etc? 'Support & Drivers" tab at top of this page.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
hexaae
Message 3 of 3 (5,484 Views)

Re: SoftThinks

[ Edited ]

Have you checked this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-6...

It seems SoftThinks, pre-installed on HP Pavilion laptops for system restores (HP Recovery Manager) has some problems with Vista.

The patch says:

«Description

This package provides an HP update for the Microsoft BitLocker Program for the supported notebook models and operating systems.

The Microsoft BitLocker Program (BLService.exe) monitors the partition header and corrects MBR (the system boot sector) if needed. When Microsoft BitLocker is enabled and the MBR is changed, BLservice.exe starts to correct it.

Fixes

Fixes an issue where an error, which indicates that the BLService.exe has stopped working, is displayed when an external USB drive is connected to the notebook. After installing this update, the Microsoft BitLocker Program only monitors the internal hard drive.»

EDIT: just found that installer from HP has problems under Vista/Win7 with UAC on as it runs the MSI package without elevated rights (needed for the installation of C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\BLService.exe !). So the suggestion is to download and install it BUT THEN enter C:\SwSetup\SP40669 and re-run from an elevated prompt (run the MSDOS prompt as Administrator using right mouse button) the MSI package to REALLY install it!

More infos: http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/171339-interactive-services-dialog-detection-5.html

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation