Question

Student
Sprocc
Message 1 of 2 (2,774 Views)

Startup Repair won't stop running on Bootup

Laptop HP Pavillion dv9000

Running Windows Vista

My Son installed Ricky Ponting Cricket 2007. After intallation the computer restarted into Windows Startup Repair. The report that was produced after scanning said that the file sfsync02.sys was corrupted.

This is not the first time I have had this issue when this game was installed - which is why my son knew he was not to install it - grrr - last time it happened I went into the command prompt and delete the sfsync02.sys file and the computer restarted fine. This time, however, when I deleted the file it continues to only boot into the Startup Repair. The report says all tests are successful and it can't find a problem. It appears to me there is no longer a problem except it still starts in startup repair.

I have inspected bios (cant see any problems), done a chkdsk scan which reported no problems, Attempted to boot in safemode (and all the other modes including normal) all just run startup repair.

While I know I can do a restore to factory settings, I would naturally like to avoid this - especially as the system keeps reporting that there is no problem (just wont start).

Is there a way to stop it from running the startup repair?

Any help would be appreciated

Tutor
ncpcov
Message 2 of 2 (2,760 Views)

Re: Startup Repair won't stop running on Bootup

My suggestion would be run safemode, let startup repair complete then use system restore to set laptop back to a point before the game causing the problems was installed. This will reset all registry etc which should remove the offending item.

Perhaps install the game in compatibility mode for XP next time may resolve issue?

Good Luck

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation