Question

Top Student
tdtolin
Message 1 of 4 (113 Views)

Stolen computer recovered

My computer was stolen but found hid outside computer repair shop. The man was trying to unlock computer.
The store had been taken to store by a concerned citizen.
We went to store and they returned computer.
The computer comes up with the message below.
Boot device not found F2 diagnostics. visit hp/com/techcenter. I can't find my documents and backup disk.
I purchased it at Best Buy in Mobile,Al on Airport Blvd.
What can I do to reboot my computer.Will I lose my programs and files?
Top Student
tdtolin
Message 2 of 4 (111 Views)

Re: Stolen computer recovered

[ Edited ]

My e-mail address is {Private Information Removed} for stolen computer info

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 3 of 4 (82 Views)

Hello Tdtolin, 

I understand your computer was stolen which I hate to hear but it’s good that you were able to get it back. 
But at that this point the computer will not boot correctly is that right? I will do all I can to help you with this issue.

With you getting that message the hard drive could have possible went bad. See below how to run a test and see if it fails or passes. 

1. Turn the computer off and locate the escape key.
2. When you turn the computer on press and hold the escape key. 
3. If successful it should load you onto a black screen with list of options. 
4. Release the escape key and then press the F2 key for diagnostic. 
5. Now depending on your computer build if you see start up test select that test and run it. Or if you see component test select that and then select hard drive test. 

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience with results of your test. 
Thanks
Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Tutor
axaznguitony27
Message 4 of 4 (67 Views)

boot device happen to my gateway desktop, so i had to get new gateway restore disc and it seems all the files got deleted and can not be recovered. though it then says os not found so do what redrose says because when i got the new hp laptop it only says boot device not found so when i got hp laptop and got the boot device not found, i got new hard drive and it worked and you might have to order new restore disc from hp. too bad old laptop died because screen broke bc i dropped it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation