Synaptics Clickpad - Right Click not working after windows 8.1 upgrade (2389 Views)
Top Student
Red62
Message 1 of 4 (2,389 Views)

Synaptics Clickpad - Right Click not working after windows 8.1 upgrade

I have an Ultraboook 6 1202ea laptop.  After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I now find that the double tap right click opton no longer works.

I believe this is a driver issue - does anybody have any suggestions?

Regards

Top Student
larrysanders
Message 2 of 4 (2,342 Views)

Re: Synaptics Clickpad - Right Click not working after windows 8.1 upgrade

Hey man,

The same thing happened to me, and I'm 99% sure that it's due to the windows 8.1 upgrade.  I tried to contact HP support, but they were absolutely worthless (wanted to restore my laptop to factory settings, then reinstall 8.1).  Until HP gets their act together and puts out a fix for this, I would suggest using this: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enable-two-finger-tap-for-right-click-in-windows/.  Completely restores the two finger right click functionality.  I would recommend that you leave the synaptics drivers installed and just use this in tandem, as that's what I'm doing, and it's working fine.  You may have to go into the settings for the Two Finger Scroll app and turn OFF the scrolling feature, however, as it was interfering with the synaptics scroll for me.

Student
woojoo666
Message 3 of 4 (2,286 Views)

Found the solution here (thank you thunberg!), reprinted and slightly edited for convenience:

1. To manually re-enable two finger tap, hit windows key + r, enter "regedit" then hit enter, and on the left pane browse to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2

2. In the right pane double click on 2FingerTapAction and change the value to a "2" for right click, or a "4" for middle click (I use 2). Also double click on 2FingerTapPluginID and clear any value it may have.

3. Next in the right pane, find the MultiFingerTapFlags key and change it from a 2 to a 3

4. As a bonus, if you want to enable three finger tap for middle click, double click on 3FingerTapAction and change the value to a "4", also clear any value for 3FingerTapPluginID and set 3FingerTapPluginActionID to "0".

Top Student
Red62
Message 4 of 4 (2,200 Views)

So this looks like a bug in the Synaptics driver for 8.1... I can use the manual "click" mehod of right click, so will avoid regedits for now.

I hope there will be an updated driver soon

thanks for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation