Question
Synaptics Touchpad stopped working
Replies (35)

Honor Student
mattmill
Message 11 of 36 (14,747 Views)

Re: Synaptics Touchpad stopped working

We also are having this trouble.  CQ60-215dx bought on Saturday and the touchpad stopped working Sunday night.  All we did was move teh laptop from a desk to the table and no go.  I am switching it out at the store tonight and hopefully it won't happen to the new one. 

Did you find a fix?

matt

Top Student
swcomm
Message 12 of 36 (14,845 Views)

Nope - I'm really puzzled by the whole thing and frankly, fed up with trying to get it to work.  This is my first, and last, HP machine, that's for sure.

When it stopped working for you, did the Synaptics software load/appear in the taskbar, or not?  Because the software doesn't load for me, I've been operating under the assumption that this is the problem.  But maybe it's not loading because the hardware is indeed defective. 

Honor Student
mattmill
Message 13 of 36 (14,838 Views)

When it stopped working the red icon in the tray did disapear.  I also opened the mouse control panel and it was not listed in the device listing on the last tab.  Not listed in the device manager just my USB mouse.  I am now having second thoughts about getting a replacement and maybe try to switch brands to Toshiba or Acer.  We started to look at a Toshiba and this one was only $50 more with double RAM and HDD space and I figured that was worth difference for the RAM alone but now questioning that logic...

matt

Honor Student
mattmill
Message 14 of 36 (14,810 Views)

Ok, so I go to open up the laptop and remove email info that we entered the other day when all was working and now the touchpad is working fine through a couple of reboots...kind of pissing me off...

matt

Top Student
swcomm
Message 15 of 36 (14,671 Views)

Funny - mine just started working again too  - didn't work this morning, but is working fine this evening.  Apparently, it's magic, because I haven't done a darn thing to it for like 5 days.   
Teacher
KREAMEDCORN
Message 16 of 36 (14,637 Views)

While nb is turned on try doing a hard reset by holding down the pwr button for about 10-15sec. After shutdown Remove the battery and the ac adapter and then hold the pwr button down for about 10 more secs to drain pwr completely. Locate F10 key and tap it continuously immediatly after pressing the pwr button to turn the nb on. Bios Setup Utility will load. If option to save and exit shows on screen go to no using arrow keys and press enter. Press F9 to load defaults. Then F10 again to save and exit. At error shutting down screen press enter on "start windows normally." If this works to resolve touchpad issue immediatly go to hp.com and download and install the latest bios update. For those of you whos touch pad just started working suddenly I recommend a bios update if it is not current.
Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Student
PNEFOREVER2
Message 17 of 36 (14,391 Views)

HELP!!! I have a presario cq50-100ca laptop.The touchpad has stopped working.I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them,selecting it in the device manager etc and nothing.Also the keyboard works til I press the caps lock then it doesn't work for ages.At moment im using a usb mouse as nothing works when trying the touchpad.I've been told that there may be some sort of hotkey combo to sort this out as my brother pressed a few buttons including the fn key at the same time by accident right before this problem occurred.I really have tried everything including recovery manager.Any help would be greatly appreciated,if anyone has any suggestions please could you email me at PNEFOREVER2@AOL.COM (just in case your wondering-im using shift key as i darent touch caps lock! and yes email addy is with caps on) Thanks for any help guys....

Honor Student
ksdre
Message 18 of 36 (12,676 Views)

Synaptics driver not working error code 24 issue.

Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad Driver

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39501-40000/sp39534.exe

I have a presario CQ50 110US  with windows vista premium. The touchpad was not working due to an update. Spent countless hours on my own researching as well as a pointless 60 mins with tech support and still wasn't working. I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled and still not working. Device driver showed it under hidden with a yellow exclamation mark. 

Finally I clicked on a tech site that suggested to power down and remove both the battery and power cord.  I turned my laptop back on and the touchpad was miraculously working again.  This did the trick. Spent 2days... almost solid working on this and taking out the battery made it work!   Hope this helps someone. 

K

Honor Student
marcy123
Message 19 of 36 (12,557 Views)

I have a Compaq CQ60 and the touchpad stopped working a few mins. ago. I couldn't find help online and can't locate my book, but had customer service # and called for tech support.

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE -- There's a teeny tiny light above the touchpad. Mine was red. Tech support said, "It should be blue. Push it." I did and it turned blue and the touchpad works as before.

I signed up for this forum JUST so I could record this simple solution for others struggling with the touchpad failure problem. I was quite sure it was something I hit while I was fumbling around with the laptop on my lap -- and it was.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. -- I don't know about the "Synaptics" part of it, but I assume this will be the solution for everyone with a CQ60.

Student
devioustrunks
Message 20 of 36 (11,483 Views)

[ Edited ]

It stops all the time. I think it is a hardware issue.

I think there this no solution available, just regret buying this <text deleted>

It doesnt matter what I do solve this problem, the touchpad stops again soon or later. The fast "solution" is to put the computer to sleep and when it wakes up, the cursor is alive again. But no matter how many times I reinstall the drivers (or even change the Operating System), it will stop working again. Even on Linux the touchpad stops.. this is really annoying. 

I have a Presario CQ60 215dx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation