Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavillion dv2910us, and I need to perform a system recovery on my laptop. I’ve tried to press F11 when the computer boots up, and nothing happens except it makes a loud beep sound and continues on its way starting up. So when that didn’t work, I came to the HP site to look up another way to possibly perform a system recovery that I didn’t know. I found that I can open the Recovery Manager from my start menu and perform the operation from there. I tried about 15 times, following the exact steps that were given to me, and even another way I found in the forum. All that happens is my computer restarts and I log in to my account and it’s the same as it was before. I really need to perform this system recovery. I’ve already moved the files I need to save to an external hard drive, and I just really need to fix this problem. What am I doing wrong, or how can I restore my laptop to factory settings in another way?

Additional info: My product number is FE989UA#ABA and serial is 2CE8200Y5Q.

Message Edited by racket on 07-24-2009 10:36 PM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

sha3ko wrote:
I have the same problem, and from what I know, if you have upgraded or downgraded your computer (that is, if you have reinstalled the operating system to something other than the original) it will cause corruptions to the recovery partition in your D drive. I tried to find the way to recover the recovery partition, but it seems there's no way unless you're a computer genius. My final solution will be just ordering a set of recovery disks from hp, but I'll try other way out before I pay for it. Good luck with yours.

Try this>>

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot the notebook and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager without having to press F11.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended
I have the same problem, and from what I know, if you have upgraded or downgraded your computer (that is, if you have reinstalled the operating system to something other than the original) it will cause corruptions to the recovery partition in your D drive. I tried to find the way to recover the recovery partition, but it seems there's no way unless you're a computer genius. My final solution will be just ordering a set of recovery disks from hp, but I'll try other way out before I pay for it. Good luck with yours.
HP Recommended

@racket

Contact HP for Recovery Disks:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3747188

HP Recommended

sha3ko wrote:

Try this>>

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot the notebook and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager without having to press F11.

HP Recommended
thanks alot it work with me
HP Recommended

I had the same problem and tried this suggestion of marking the recovery disk as active partition, but now when I reboot and go through the recovery manager I get error 101a. I suppose the recovery is messed up somehow and I need to get HP support involved...? Or does anyone have other suggestions? Also, any ideas on how I can at least go back to reboot without starting the recovery manager...? Thanks!

HP Recommended

I 2 have a similar situation a dv9000 was giving to me to fix: the hard drive was mia so i found the spec and bought a new drive from FRY's (320 GB 5400 rpm(Seagate monentusLP) then had to order the mounting kit that included the adapter for the data and power...OK recv'd and installed tried to install XP and didnt work so some investigation on hp's site found that if the computer shipped with vista then you should reinstall vista...OK found that this laptop had 64bit version factory installed....ok

bought the recovery disk's and tried to install... #1problem the computer loaded the OS ok ... I think (I get a desk top anyway)

#2 FBI GUI Manager keeps running like 12 hours and the status bars are not event to 50% yet then seems like it hangs when it reboots itself so i manually power cycle and get back to the desktop (Sometimes) other times it will try to boot and the get a message that states "Operating system not found" so i manually hit the power button again the start it going again.

Question is " Is there anything that i can do to get a clean install?   Thanks in advance for your time

HP Recommended

@mwaddington1

What is the full model number or P/N from the Service Tag on bottom of laptop? Locating Model Number

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply :

I have just about given up. now on the forth time trying to recover..Some times the fan runs for heat dissipation i guess and the screen is black with a blinking cursor. some times the optical drive will not run. and some times like now recovery is slow but working i just inserted disk #2 after using partition wizard to reset the drive. it will probably do its thing until after fbigui manager loads hp assistant the lock up and not do and thing. but i can read the part info with partition wizard.

Requested info:

dv9933cl

Sn: cnf8303xy9

Pn: fe781ua#aba

Bios: f.58

Michael

HP Recommended

If Recovery still fails and you want to try XP again, look at Part 2 of the XP Downgrade Guide. You need the ICH8 SATA driver slipstreamed and a new XP cd burned.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.