Question

Honor Student
HeavyMetalWolf
Message 1 of 6 (3,348 Views)

System Recovery format fails at 22% with "Error: 0x400 1100 20000 1005

Notebook: HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Model # DV 9904CA P/N = FE 701UA#ABC

(Belongs to a friend).

Need to restore to factory settings owing to a system crash.  The friend created three System restore CD's.

I can boot from CD #1. I get the option to recover from CD or Disk and can choose either and it proceeds with formating the hard drive. The format advances to 22% and I then get the same error each time : Error: 0x400 1100 20000 1005. I have to click [OK] and the process aborts. I have re-tried this several times both from hard disk and CD but the format always fails at 22%. Only on one occasion did it go past 22% to 34% and then aborted.  The next and subsequent re-tries have aborted at 22%.

I removed the drive hooked it to an external USB Cable and was able to format it successfully. No problems, no errors. I put it back in the notebook and did a hard disk health check via the BIOS. It passed with no problems.

I also ran a memory health check from the BIOS and that passed with no problems as well. Despite this the recovery via the CD's still proceeds to the formating stage and aborts at 22%.

Obviously the recovery CD's are fine as it boots and launches recovery program and the format stage.

So what is causing the format via the Recovery CD's to fail at 22%?  Why isn't there an option under 'Advanced" to by pass the format stage?.

I will greatly appreciate a resooution to this problem.

Thanks

HeavyMetalWolf

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 6 (3,335 Views)

Re: System Recovery format fails at 22% with "Error: 0x400 1100 20000 1005

[ Edited ]

Please perform the following steps to resolve the problem:
1. When the notebook is powered on, press the wireless button to turn ON the wireless switch.
2. Reboot the Notebook PC.
3. Press f11 to boot from the Recovery Manager.
4. Click Next when Welcome to Recovery Manager displays.
5. Select No and then click Next when Microsoft System Restore displays.
6. Select Yes and then click Next when System Recovery displays.
7. Select the appropriate item (backup file or not) and then click Next when Recover your computer to original factory condition displays.
8. Allow the system recovery process to complete.

If the issue persist, I would suggest you buy a Recovery kit for the notebook and restore the system to factory condition. Here is the link that will help you to order Recovery kit:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Honor Student
HeavyMetalWolf
Message 3 of 6 (3,301 Views)

I have followed your instructions as appear below:

1. "When the notebook is powered on, press the wireless button to turn ON the wireless

switch."
 There is no 'Wireless button' but there is a Wireless slide switch located at the front
left edge of the notebook. I powered on the notebook and slid this switch to the 'on'
position.

2. I re-booted the PC.
3. I pressed F11 to boot from the Recovery Manager
4. I clicked 'Next' on the 'Welcome to the Recovery Manager' screen.
5. "Select No and then click Next when Microsoft System Restore displays."
    At this step the screen prompts: "Would you like to perform a system Recovery?"     

According to your instruction, I am supposed to select 'No'. If I select 'No' , the     
next screen prompts to "Contact HP Support"and 'Finish' and '<Back' are the only     
choices. Therefore 'No' is not the right choice according to your instruction. So I
clicked  the '<Back' button, went back and selected 'Yes' to the "Would you like to
perform a system recovery?" question.

6. "Select Yes and then click Next when System Recovery displays."
    I believe this step pertains to step (5) above.

7. "Select the appropriate item (backup file or not) and then click Next when Recover
    your computer to original factory condition displays."

At this step, I do not get any option to backup any files (however this does not
   matter as there is no data to back up since I formatted the drive manually using an
   external USB cable remember?) The screen that appears is "Factory Image Recovery". It has
   a line which reads "Reformatting the Windows Partition of your hard disk drive" and
  "Reinstalling original content". Both lines have a check box which are automatically
   selected.

The process completes 100%. I am prompted to re-boot the machine. But when it re-boots I
get a black screen indicating that "Windows failed to start". It prompts me to insert my
Windows Installation disc and re-start the computer.

At this point if I insert the Recovery CD #1  and reboot the machine, I am back at
square one all over again.

I am positive the three System Recovery CD's made by my friend are not faulty. This is
because I can read the contents of all three of them without any problem. Besides the
Notebook boots from CD#1 and launhces the recovery program without any hitch. It is only
that the format fails ay 22% every time and the process aborts.  And it is not a hard drive fault either.

Moreover the Recovery steps provided by you would have worked if the process accesses
the files off the three CD's and restores from them. But it does not.

So what's the next step?

Thanks

HeavyMetalWolf

Honor Student
HeavyMetalWolf
Message 4 of 6 (3,261 Views)

Hello Any one home at HP? 

Is it possible to get a reply at all?

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 6 (3,232 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try booting with a utilty cd to remove partitions/ format hdd. Several posters here have had good results with Partition Wizard .Download the free Bootable CD iso here .Get ImgBurn here to burn the image to cd.

After deleting partitions and formatting hdd, try booting with Recovery Disks again.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
thespyderbyte
Message 6 of 6 (882 Views)

Using a vista loaded notebook the recovery disc never did work to bring it back to life, but having some old XP disc with SP1-2-3 I had stored away, it gave me the option of removing the partitions and the notebook came back up.....many many thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation