Question

Intern
pmrose
Message 1 of 4 (767 Views)
Accepted Solution

System Restore and Norton Anti-Virus (WIN 7)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a solution or thought on this challenge:  When I go to restore a system restore time, I get an error message stating that it can't restore because of an Anti-Virus program.   Does that mean I have to disable the Anti-Virus program before I attempt to restore the system?  And, do I need to disable the Anti-Virus program when I create a new restore Point?

Thank you

Grad Student
ArtAppreciator
Message 2 of 4 (749 Views)

Re: System Restore and Norton Anti-Virus (WIN 7)

Norton products have a security feature that prevents outside programs from making changes to the Norton product. This security feature can prevent Windows System Restore from changing Norton files, which results in a "Restoration Incomplete" message.

Follow instructions from Norton at the below link to work around this when performing system restore. Restore protection for Norton files once system restore is completed.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080818173549EN&ln...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
Intern
pmrose
Message 3 of 4 (734 Views)

Thank you for the solution!  It worked......Now, I wonder if Norton will fix that issue, so a person does not have to go through all that to restore their PC to a restore point.....
Grad Student
ArtAppreciator
Message 4 of 4 (710 Views)

This implementation is probably made for security reasons and won't change.

The moment they would make such a change there would be viruses pretending to be system restore and modifying the virus protection to avoid detection or removal

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation