Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In my case, I just needed to download and install HP software framework from HP.

Once I did that all of the BIOS updates appear to work properly!

Good luck!

HP Recommended

@Eurometal wrote:

Below is a SOLUTION (WORKING) !

But first let me vent out a comment:
Ironically, many so-called "HP experts" - are PAID for a JOB they don't know how to perform, on deeply technical level.  You'd agree when a customer had to teach CustomerService folks on several occasions, rather than vice versa (HP teaching customer), it is laughable.  On the other hand I understand hiring quality folks to pickup phones/answer Forum postings, would be prohibitively expensive; so what you sometimes get is a HighSchool grad, giving you LAME advise about things s/he doesn't know a pint; only knows how to follow primitive routine.  Same applies to Cable & Telecom/Wireless Cust.Service - I never needed help, except one day in history called b/c CableModem was unresponsive, after wasting time & hearing **** suggestions from "unplug & wait" to "replace Modem" (thanks Lord, he didn't suggest replace Motherboard !), he even Pinged our modem & declared "hardware failure", etc. - I just said "have a ncie day" & fixed my own modem with own hands.  Had todo with IPv6 Protocol, nothing todo w/hardware.

Anyway, here's a solution for your question:

Go into Services (Run "services.msc" or get there thru ControlPanel-->AdminTools-->), find following 2 services ==> make sure they're running, chances are they're NOT (as in my case I keep them disabled unless need running):
1) "HP Software Framework"
2) "HP Service" [no typo - a real plain name]

If not running, set Properties-->Manual and click "Start", make sure both are running.

Rerun BIOS updater, choose option for "Within Windows" or something to that effect (using HPQ/ROMpaq updater), rather than "create USB BootDisk on Key", this time it should work without the hassle of a BootDisk creation.
Should work from within Windows environment.

Notes:
a) Likely only one (1) service is responsible - namely "HP Software Framework" for HPQ Updater to fail, but doesn't hurt to reenable/restart both services.
I in fact am responding to other customers who elect to Update BIOS within Windows, perhaps oldfashioned but to me Boot Updater is more natural & always works regardless of WMI Support.
b) After you're done, don't forget to go BACK into Services.msc and redisable both Services if they were originally disabled; or you're a computer Pro, you know what you're doing and like me keep all HP services disabled.  The ones we got on EliteBook 8760W are pests consuming system resources, you just enable "Software Framework" when occasionals issues emerge with HP softupdate (typically no issues) & redisable after use, rest of services are bloatware - some attempt to overrun Windows Wireless console, some seekout HP Networked printers (Ethernet, Wireless, but not USB), some do this & that - I study/know which one does what and decided to disable all. This is called a "minimalist" philosophy & turns your machine into a fast beast, I recently sold a very obsolete 4-year laptop which however handles 3DMCAD & complex designs/simulations, better new machines out fo a store, as new machines are loaded w/bloatware chocking down resources.
BUT nobody is requiring you to disable anything though.
The solution merely states the fact:

These 2 (or 1) services when not running halt BIOS Update "within Windows" (you can still run "BootDisk option", however, if preferred).
Simply restartung them solves your problem.  Usually 🙂
Enjoy.

BELOW ARE IMPORTANT WARNINGS:
1) IF YOUR BIOS UPDATE STILL FAILS, SOME OTHER PIECE IN WMI SUPPORT IS MISSING - IN MY CASE WAS THESE 2 SERVICES, BUT THERE'S REMOTE POSSIBILITY SOMETHING ELSE MIGHT BLIOCK UPDATER.  DON'T WASTE TIME & CHOOSE "USB/BootDisk" options instead
2) Once BIOS updater does its job, will ask to auto-restart - let it go on & complete, it will self-shutdown (click "Next" to skip 60-second timer), then do NOT turn it on manually!, wait - it'll turn on by itself in 15 seconds, let it boot into Windows, you're done!
3) WARNING: close other apps before proceeding, be 100% sure your ACpower won't be interrupted or better yet - make sure battery is in/charged (so if ACpower accidentally disconnects, you're autoswitched onto battery) b/c power loss may result in severe damage to internal hardware.  In the old days it'd result in fatal damage, these days powerloss would still result in a major repair (ROM chip corruption).

So to summarize: those 2 services I specified, are often responsible for whether HPQ/ROMpaq will or won't run.
Other causes possible, but I've not witnessed; and if so - choose BootDisk option.

===

Stan M. Starinski, MSEE.

Stan,

Your answer has helped me many times (for that I thank you) except when I cannot find either of those services in "services.msc". I contacted HP and this helped me install the services when I was unable to find them. Hopefully this email helps people with the same problem I had. The email HP sent me is below:

Thank you for contacting HP eSolutions.

This e mail is in reference to the Service Request: 37186597.

Thank you for updating the case.

I would request you to update the software from below web-link. Before updating the software, you need to update the .Net Framework for your unit, if you are not installed the same on your unit.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=17718

Kindly Note: The above third-party link is provided to help you find the support you need. This information is subject to change without notice. We would be unable to assure the accuracy of this third-party information. The software manufacturer will be able to provide support for this third-party software.

HP Software Framework

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

Installation Instructions

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

If HP Software Framework does not resolve the issue, then try the steps listed below:

a. Open Control Panel .

b. Click Administrative Tool .

c. Click Services .

d. Locate and double click HP Software Framework service.

e. Set it to Manual and select Start service.

f. Run HPQFlash again.

Do update the case at your earliest convenience, so that we could assist you promptly.

Thank you again for contacting HP e-Solutions

If the second link doesn't work, try any one of these links. The first one worked for me when the link above took too long to load:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-83720-1

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-95311-1

Thanks,

-Trevor

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.