Question

Honor Student
EdwardoNo4
Message 1 of 19 (9,327 Views)
Accepted Solution

The User Profile Service service failed logon

Hi

I have a Compaq presarion c500 c555em running windows vista and for the last week I have been unable to log on. After start up the logon page is displayed with the only log on option being my user profile. When I correctly enter my password, a message appears stating:

The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

From looking at other posts, there appears to be a Microsoft fix to this problem. However I cannot access the internet in safe mode, and when I try to run the fix from a memory stick it does not open the fix.

If I run the F11 button, will I automatically lose all the contents of my c drive (ie restoring it to the factory settings) or will it be possible to restore it to a time before this error occurred? If so, could you give simple instructions as to how to do this or give a cross reference to where I can find that information. Apologies if simple, but I'm really bad with computers

Many thanks

Edwardo

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 19 (9,322 Views)

Re: The User Profile Service service failed logon

Here is link that you can try as well... http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loade...

on the same MS link there is Let me fix it myself  section as well...here is the steps for that....

To resolve this problem yourself, follow these steps:

1. Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click Change settings.
  3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
  4. Under User Profiles, click Settings.
  5. In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, clickDelete, and then click OK.
  6. Click Start, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.
  7. Locate and then expand the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  8. Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
  9. Log on to the computer and create a new profile

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
EdwardoNo4
Message 3 of 19 (9,291 Views)

Thanks, this worked a treat. The Microsoft fix looked complicated on paper but was actually pretty easy to follow

Edwardo

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 19 (9,223 Views)

You are always welcome! :smileyhappy:

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Student
Meedelen
Message 5 of 19 (8,943 Views)

Hi, I have a new Compaq Presario running Windows 7.  I've tried MS Fix It and nothing is working.  I am only able to access through another profile but that is set up for my son with limited access to anything - mainly used for gaming.  I have tried logging in from his profile as administrator but nothing happens eventhough I type in my administrator password each time.  Please help.

Teacher
amaresh
Message 6 of 19 (8,901 Views)

Restore (system restore) the laptop to it's previous date using f11 steps at start up .. The issue will get fixed .

Honor Student
robertaj
Message 7 of 19 (8,790 Views)

Will deleting the profile remove all files you have safed on your computer?

Top Student
Melrick
Message 8 of 19 (8,769 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've came across such problem before as well and it was fixed by following windows registry hacks. - Logon to another Administrator account. - 'regedit' then locate 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList' - In the left pane, look for the S-1-5..... folder (SID key) with the long number that has .bak at the end of the numbers. - For Two S-1-5..... folders (SID key) with the same Number

1) In the left pane, right click on the first (top) S-1-5..... folder (SID key) that does not have .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename.

2) Add .bk to the end of the numbers.

3) In the left pane, right click on the second S-1-5..... folder (SID key) with .bak at the end of the numbers and click Rename.

4) Remove only .bak from the end of the numbers and press Enter.

5) Now go back and Rename the first one with .bk to .bak now at the end of the numbers and press Enter. - In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on RefCount and click on Modify. Type 0 (number) and click on OK. - In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on State and click on Modify. Type 0 (number) and click on OK. - Close 'regedit' and restart computer.

Honor Student
yoyoxxx19
Message 9 of 19 (8,308 Views)

I have this same problem so i am on the guest account but i do not know the password for the admin account because my dad gave me the computer and he forgot the password. Any help much appreciated

Student
KEESZolved
Message 10 of 19 (7,867 Views)

I got the same message after adding a new RAM module in my HP mini laptop, using Windows 7 (this laptop came with a recovery partition on drive D). Because off this problem I could not get into the system of that computer. It was off-line (not connected to the Internet) as well, in order to read the support forum on another (well connected) computer.

Here is the sequence of instructions you can follow :

1) Press F11 short after turning on your computer with the logon problem.

Windows will start loading files  …., just wait a while.

In the mean time you will probable see a blue screen with light rays from above.

Eventually you will see a Recovery menu, with a view options to choose from.

2) Choose: Microsoft System Recovery (and press [next])

You will see a chronological list with changes in your computer system.

3) Choose an item or a date from where you are sure the system worked well.

The recovery will look just before that change.

4) Choose the drive to recover which contains the Windows system (usually C:\ )

5) Press [Yes] to start the restore.

Now just wait a while until the recovery is done. If its done, you are asked to Restart.

6) Confirm to [Restart] Windows as usually.

7) Logon to your system with your known password.

After this Start Up you will see a nearly default DeskTop, don’t worry, nothing is lost.

At this point on my mini laptop the HP Support Assistant asked for an optimization. If so accept it.

8) After the optimization the system will shut down.

9) Connect to the Internet

10) Turn your computer on for a second time.

Log on, and everything should look familiar again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation