Question

Student
ndnsoulja
Message 1 of 2 (1,915 Views)

Trying to install SSD on my Pavilion DV6 laptop..

Hello, i just got my new M4 SSD, I have the restore disc for the laptop ( HP PAVILION DV6 ), the recovery disc is for Windows 7 64-bit. I removed the HDD from the computer and now put in the SSD. But when installing the factory image on the SSD I keep getting an error:

"COPY FILE FAILS

TO: C:\RM\IMAGE\BASE.SWM

PRES OK TO RETRY."

I keep pressing retry and nothing keep getting the same message. This is my first SSD and first time installing a drive on a laptop. Does anyone with the similar laptop have the same error? Should I just try doing a image copy on another machine( hook up both, old hdd and ssd on another machine and copy an image to the ssd)? If so, what's a good imaging software, and possibly free?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 2 (1,877 Views)

Re: Trying to install SSD on my Pavilion DV6 laptop..

Hi,

You might need to do a "quick format" of the SSD for starters.

I use Paragon to image my hard drive to my SSDs but there are other good products.  Paragon also provides a boot CD.  I try to avoid certain "freebie" products and sometimes the functionality is greatly reduced.  Intel might even have an installation product recommendation and procedure for you. 

You might also need and external USB enclosure or sata to USB adapter so that you can image across your HD to your new SSD.  This would alllow you to double check that everythings get copied before you exchange the hard drive for the SSD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation