Turn Off Security to Download a Program? (793 Views)
Top Student
hansford
Message 1 of 9 (793 Views)
Accepted Solution

Turn Off Security to Download a Program?

Hi, Brand new to Windows 7.

1. How do I turn off  Firewall and whatever to  install a new program?  

2. Where Do I find System Tools (disk Clean & Defrag)/

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 9 (783 Views)

Re: Turn Off Security to Download a Program?

[ Edited ]

Go to the Control Panel and choose Icon view and click on Windows Firewall. In the left pain find "Turn Windows Fire Wall on or off"

System tools is found in "All Programs" > Accessories > System Tools. Disk clean up and disk defragmenter is in there.

W7 disk defragmenter is useless, this free one is better. There are others you can pay for.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/defragmentation/ultradefrag_64.cfm

This Ultra Defrag 64 bit version.

When using this program set your power settings to "High Performance" so the computer does not go to sleep. Leave it run over night.

Top Student
hansford
Message 3 of 9 (775 Views)

HaggisCat,

Thanks for your reply. I turned the Firewall off and still get a message saying that  I must be online with the Firewall, Security & AntiVirus turned off in order to install this program

. I only have the trial Norton AntiVirus, Windows Defender and the firewall so far, and they are  all turned  off.  Any suggestions? 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 9 (774 Views)

What is the program you are trying to install ?  Are you having trouble installing it or downloading from the internet ?

Top Student
hansford
Message 5 of 9 (768 Views)

The program is Morpheous Morpher.  I transferred it from my old computer. It stops installing and asks for a Registration Key. I copy & paste the valid registration number and that is when it gives  me the message.

I seem to be having a problem with a couple of programs that say they do not connect an internet connnection. For example, the free version  AVG AntiVirus downla fine, but when I am installing it, it says it cannot detect a valid internect connect (even when I am downloading that program from online).

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 9 (758 Views)

[ Edited ]

The only other thing that I have for you is to try and download Morpheous Morpher from the internet (if you can) You are probably running 64 bit now, so if there is a version for that, use that one. Save the download to the desktop and install it from there. Do not run it from a temporary folder.

When it comes time to enter your product key do not use copy and paste, but enter it manually.

Transferring software from an older computer can cause problems like this, so hopefully this will work.

http://www.morpheussoftware.net/

So here is the download that I tried and and it worked for me, I am running W7 64 bit. My ESET anti virus would not let me download it, but ounce I disabled it, it worked.

As far as AVG, you may have to uninstall Norton before AVG will install properly and communicate with its website. Norton may also be the cause why you can't run or enter your product key for Morpheous Morpher.

There is obviously something in the Morpheous Morpher software that the anti virus programs don't like and Norton can be especially difficult to deal with concerning these things.

If you are running Windows Defender you may have to disable that as well.

Top Student
hansford
Message 7 of 9 (734 Views)

Thank you for all of that good information. Unfortunately, I am still having problems withdownloading and installing  Morpheus so I sent an email to their technical support. 

When I mentioned the trial version of Norton's, I should have also mentioned that I have not yet activated it. So since Norton has not been activated, I assume that it could not be part of the problem preventing Morpheus from installing.

I have not removed the trial Norton yet because I have not had any luck setting up a free AntiVirus program so I may have to end up with Norton. Do you know of a good free AntiVirus program?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 9 (729 Views)

Avira was recommended by one of the people here in the forums. I tried it for a while and it seemed fine, but it was difficult to uninstall.

http://www.free-av.com/

I am running free Avast on another machine and it's OK too, but it does slow the boot up time a bit.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

An unactivated version of Norton would not effect any thing.

Top Student
hansford
Message 9 of 9 (725 Views)

HaggisCat,

Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions. I appreciate  your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation