USB Ports Cease Working on my Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX (1743 Views)
Student
fullmoonhowler
Message 1 of 4 (1,743 Views)

USB Ports Cease Working on my Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX

To be fair, my problems all started when my battery took a dump and started popping up with an error message saying that I needed to replace it, but now its acting just fine. My problem now is that my USB ports are not working at all on my Presario CQ60-615DX. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no matter what I do, I can not get them to work. I have to admit that I am pretty much computer illiterate, but I've gone through and have done everything version of help instructions that I've been able to find. I'm really hoping I don't have to take it in to a computer repair shop, but its getting to the point where I will have to if I can't resolve this myself.

Student
frayednot
Message 2 of 4 (1,423 Views)

Re: USB Ports Cease Working on my Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX

I just fixed this same problem on my computer- hopefully this will help

I went into device manager (right-click on computer, properties, then device manager) expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" On each of the Universal Host Controllers, disable them and then enable them, one by one.

Close out and try again- this worked like a charm for me.

Honor Student
Ellayararwhy
Message 3 of 4 (878 Views)

After a power-reboot, I lost all USB ports, - I do not have any BIOS hooks for any USB diags or enabling. Do not ask me to check the BIOS, upgrade the BIOS, b/c I've been there/done that. I've done drivers, both old & latest for my Compaq Presario. I have disabled all 8 of the ICH8 Family USB Univesal Host Controller drivers and re-enabled. I tried the boot-up trick where it find new USB hardware. I still suspect the problem to be either firmweare ( which I can't change or somethign in the registry diabling my USBs. All I get from this morning on is those stupid yellow exclamation marks in he device manager for all 8 USB drivers). 

The event log just gives a stupid "

The USB Service service terminated with the following error:

The specified module could not be found. ", as if that's a big help.

Does anybody know if any diags out there will do anything positive in repairing my USBs on this XP Pro laptop ? 

Honor Student
Ellayararwhy
Message 4 of 4 (865 Views)

I can answer my own question, which happens to be a hardware failure:

It turns out that the 5 volts on all my USB ports has died. This was found by connecting an intelligent USB device that can recharge off of the USB, such as a Smartphone. So, I'm now in the market for a new laptop, since repairing something like this, although minor to any junior engineer, isn't worth the specialized tools, patience, time & effort

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation