Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Since a few days now I get the message

'The USB-device was not recognized: One of the USB-devices connected to this computer does not work correclty. The device has not been recognized'.

It keeps popping up from my right corner below, every 5 seconds if I don't click it. When I click the message, I get a list of USB devices (ports) there are available. There's one 'Unknown device'. Maybe it has something to do with the finger scan (biometric)? This hasn't been working very good lately..

Even when there's no single USB device installed (normally I have a mouse and a Targus laptop chill mat installed as USB devices), it keeps popping up. I tried deleting the USB port from the list (or uninstall it) in Device control, but it seems it keeps happening.

I suddenly got it, I did nothing specific of did not connect any strange devices (except for a projector on the external monitor exit, but that has nothing to do with USB). I also hear the sound for connecting and disconnecting USB devics randomly when I'm on my laptop.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
LE902EA#UUG

Windows 7 64 bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I disabled the root hubs, figured out which one now caused my mouse and other physical USB drives to not work anymore and enabled that one again.

The one that gave the error message is now disabled and so the error message no longer shows.

Result: (built in) cyberlink youcam and fingerscan no longer work. But at least the annoying message is gone, so I guess I can live with that.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
I understand that you are receiving a message about a USB device not working properly.

Most notebooks have integrated components that are treated as a USB device and one of them may be triggering the message. Go to Start, search for device manager, and open this result. Are there any items marked with a !, ?, or as unknown/other?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Yes, under the USB controllers, there is 1 unknown device marked with a ?.

I've set this topic under hardware as well, we've got a little further there:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/USB-not-recognized-even-when-there-s-no...

HP Recommended

After reviewing the other thread, I would like to know what happens if you uninstall all the USB root hubs under the USB category.

This can be done by right-clicking and selecting uninstall for each item.  Once that is completed, reboot the system.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Can't that do any harm? I'm afraid nothing will pop up after reboot and my USB controllers will be totally dead?

HP Recommended

It shouldn't do any harm at all.  In fact, it is a common troubleshooting step with USB port issues.  With nothing connected, it's either a problem with the pseudo USB devices or the ports themselves.  If it's related to the software or drivers for the USB ports, this would help resolve it.  

Reference this older HP document which contains the steps to remove the USB root hub.  

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00820529

Signature
HP Recommended

Was there any luck with uninstalling and reinstalling the USB root hubs?

Signature
HP Recommended

I'm giving it a go on Wednesday. First making sure I have a backup and reinstall files in case something happens.

HP Recommended

A backup is always a good idea as things don't always go as planned.  

Let me know how it turns out.  

Signature
HP Recommended

I disabled the root hubs, figured out which one now caused my mouse and other physical USB drives to not work anymore and enabled that one again.

The one that gave the error message is now disabled and so the error message no longer shows.

Result: (built in) cyberlink youcam and fingerscan no longer work. But at least the annoying message is gone, so I guess I can live with that.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.