Question

Tutor
kidswithmaids
Message 1 of 21 (6,769 Views)

USB ports stop working after restart (W7)

Hi all, I'm new here.

When I restart my HP Pavilion dv7-1264nr USB ports stop responding. Then I have to go to Device Manager to remove them manually and reinstall them again. How to prevent this from happening?

My Windows 7 is up to date nor I can find any specific drivers on official HP Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) drivers page.

Thanks in advance. 

Grad Student
ArtAppreciator
Message 2 of 21 (6,805 Views)

Re: USB ports stop working after restart (W7)

How did you install Win7 - upgrade or clean install?

Did you upgrade the bios on the system for Win7 support? 

Did you install all the Win7 drivers on the download page you link to below or are you using the (some) Win7 inbox drivers?

When the issue with the USB ports occur - do you get an error message or is there an issue reported with them in Device Manager?

What exactly do you remove from Device Manager?

Could you elaborate a bit on the failure scenario? how do you know the ports stop responding - error messages or HW connected to the ports not working? 

Are all the USB ports not working or only specific ones?

Apologize for all the questions, but I've seen a couple comments regarding USB ports not working and am trying to gather sufficient information to reproduce the issue. Any assistance in providing the information will be greatly appreciated.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
Tutor
kidswithmaids
Message 3 of 21 (6,799 Views)

My bad.

OK, the BIOS was just upgraded to the latest F.49 using HP flasher tool. All the drivers were successfully found by W7.
The issue occurs every time i restart the machine, no error message, they just stop responding (and I know that because USB mouse and iPhone are not recognized). When I go to Device Manager, there are issues:

I uninstall them by right-clicking and uninstalling every single one with exclamation mark. After few minutes W7 finds new hardware and installs drivers. All of the USB ports become unavailable.
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 21 (6,792 Views)

Hi,

If that unknown device I see in your posted image is the ACPI device for your processor it would explain what is happening. Go to microsoft update to see if there is one available for your laptop.

regards,

erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
kidswithmaids
Message 5 of 21 (6,780 Views)

[ Edited ]
Yes, it is ACPI/HPQ004 but Windows wont find any applicable drivers. I've also used Windows Update and everything is up to date. How can I update manually?
Message Edited by kidswithaids on 12-02-2009 04:06 AM
Provost
erico
Message 6 of 21 (6,774 Views)

[ Edited ]

Which version of Win 7? is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

to manually update the driver--> go to windows update and look in the optional updates section. That is where the ACPI drivers are for most processors. You can also try uninstalling the unknown device from within Device manager and selecting and right clicking any device. Choose scan   for hardware changes.

regards,
erico 

Message Edited by erico on 12-02-2009 02:01 PM

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
kidswithmaids
Message 7 of 21 (6,772 Views)

It is x64.
Provost
erico
Message 8 of 21 (6,771 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

That ACPI driver is reported, at a number of forums, to be at the Windows update site. Check the optional updates.

Out of curiosity, in Device manager, is your  Computer shown to be an ACPI x64-based PC?

regards,
erico 

Message Edited by erico on 12-02-2009 02:07 PM

Tutor
kidswithmaids
Message 9 of 21 (6,766 Views)

Optional updates are just language packs. I cannot find drivers manually online.
Provost
erico
Message 10 of 21 (6,761 Views)

HI,

Did you uninstall the unknown device as I suggested? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation