Question
Unable to install Windows 7 on HP Envy 17 3D (17-1197eo)
Replies (16)

Student
lancia
Message 11 of 17 (6,882 Views)

Re: Unable to install Windows 7 on HP Envy 17 3D (17-1197eo)

[ Edited ]

I am having the exact same problem.  I have a vanilla copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a bootable USB drive.  I can boot off of it and the windows setup starts.  I gets to the end where it is completing the installation and throws an error.  I don't remember the exact error off the top of my head but something about it cannot complete the installation on this hardware.  I tried loading the hard drive drivers via F6 during install as well.  Still unable to install a clean vanilla version of windows.  As the original poster suggested, this is usually a problem that is easily solved by turning on compatible mode on the SATA hard drives in the BIOS.  This is not an option as the BIOS on the ENVY 3D has almost zero options.  I also tried different USB ports as well.  Still no go.

I am going to try to install via boot DVD and see if this works and will report back with the exact error message.

UPDATE:

I created a Windows 7 Ultimate boot DVD and the install worked fine.  Must be something about the USB port that was causing the problem.

Student
jkuhlz
Message 12 of 17 (6,820 Views)

I am running into this problem also.  I just received a "HP ENVY 17t-2100 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC" and wanted to do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate as I ordered it with just the Home Premium.  Have a Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) msdn disc from November 2009 and on the very last step of the install it always says:

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware"

After searching the forums, I found this post which is similiar: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/481461-windows-7-install-error-hp-envy-15-a-2.html. One suggestion is to go to the intel website and download the latest chipset controllers. 

My chipset is the  "Intel HM67 Express chipset platform controller hub (PCH)", so i arrvied at this page http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipse...

and downloaded the following drivers:

• "Intel® RST Driver Files (for version 10.1) - F6 Install (64-bit)"
  • "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" rivers"

When I try to load these drivers I get the message:

"To Continue, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers.  Installing an unsigned 64-bit driver is not supported and might result in an ususable Windows installation."

So I am not sure if it is actually using them or not.  But I continue with the installation and always end up with the same error:

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware"

I contacted HP Chat support and the only answer I received was to perform a system recorvery and try the process again, which I assume I would just end up at the same point I am now?

Any ideas, as I have run of of things to try!

Student
SandeepKonda
Message 13 of 17 (5,393 Views)

I too have the same problem. 

I'm having HP Envy 17t-2000. Struggling with it :smileysad:. someone suggest what to do.

Honor Student
virtualreality
Message 14 of 17 (5,100 Views)

found the answer here:

1) Disassemble the laptop and remove the mSATA SSD.

2) Leave the laptop disassembled and boot it up. You will be greeted with an Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen. Delete the RAID setup on the 500GB HDD and unbind it from the SSD cache. Finish and turn off the laptop.

3) Plug the mSATA SSD back onto the mobo and boot up the computer again. You will be greeted by the same Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen. Now, delete the RAID setup on the mSATA SSD. Finish and turn off the laptop.

4) Boot up the laptop with a Windows OS installation disc inside a connected external USB DVD drive. Hit ESC and select boot priority. Boot from DVD Drive and follow steps to delete partitions and reformat the SSD and HDD drives.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/667656-envy-sleekbook-6t-1000-cant-reformat.html

Honor Student
virtualreality
Message 15 of 17 (5,096 Views)

[ Edited ]

Worked for me

Honor Student
whymylaptop
Message 16 of 17 (4,711 Views)

I got my Envy 6 1011tu today and thought I'd install my copy of Win 7 Professional onto it... but this same problem is appearing - "Win7 cant be installed on this hardware" and since I accidently deleted the recovery drive, the very first time, the laptop is effectively unusable - and the good looks are now becoming an eyesore. Now I dunno much about computer hardware but I can follow simple instructions... that hopefully dont ask me to open my brand new laptop.

Has anyone found any solutions yet? Please help me here.

Honor Student
whymylaptop
Message 17 of 17 (4,704 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation