Question

B18 Top Student
Top Student
B18
Message 1 of 13 (7,589 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unknown USB Device

[ Edited ]

I hope someone can help me with this.  I have searched online for weeks and have tried everything, so please be patient with me as I am at my wits end!

I put the HP G60t-200 laptop(vista-32bit,) in sleep mode, ever since that I have an "unknown device" (unknown device driver 6.0.6002.18005)  that keeps popping up.  I uninstalled it, disabled it, turned off usb errors, updated bios, drivers, shut down the computer, uninstalled the battery, safe mode, I can go on.  Once uninstalled the device then re-installs itself.  My USB port works fine, and all my updates are current. 

With all that said, it went away for about a week and now the unknown device is back, and the connect/disconnect sound keeps chiming in every few seconds.  It's driving me nuts!

Any info will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 13 (7,579 Views)

Re: Unknown USB Device

Hi,

HP Quick Launch Buttons can show up as this if the driver has not installed properly or is corrupt.  On the link below is the latest installer for QLB.  Save the download to your Desktop and run the installer from there.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46731.exe

Restart your PC after this has installed.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 3 of 13 (7,567 Views)

[ Edited ]

That sound to me as a webcam...Can you post the Hardware ID of the unknown USB device?

Here is how you get the hardware id....

1. Open Device Manager, press, windows Key+R that will open the Run Box. In the Run box type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
  2. Unknown devices would be listed as such and marked out with a yellow question mark.

find device drivers

3. Select the unknown device and right click to access Properties.
  4. In the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down.

device drivers downloads

5. An alphanumeric string like this PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7130&SUBSYS_012F1025&REV_01\4&6B16D5B&0&33F0 is the identification marker for the device. We only need to isolate the Vendor ID number (prefixed with VEN) and the Device ID number (prefixed with DEV). In this case, Vendor ID is 1217 and Device ID is 7130.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
B18 Top Student
Top Student
B18
Message 4 of 13 (7,529 Views)

Thank you for your response.  I tried what you suggested and I cannot get the HP quick launch to run at all.  Any suggestions?

B18 Top Student
Top Student
B18
Message 5 of 13 (7,527 Views)

Hi,

There was no listing in the drop down bar of device instance id to choose from.  I found this under the device instance path, not sure if it is the same thing.   USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&27CFA3BC&0&1.  Otherwise I do not have any question marks listed on the unknown device.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 13 (7,522 Views)

Hi,

Open Device Manager, click View and then select 'Show hidden Devices'.  Do you see any device with an error icon next to it?

Regards,

DP-K

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 7 of 13 (7,517 Views)

Hmmm...not able to find anything related to that...Can you post a screenshot of the device manager and where you are seeing this....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
B18 Top Student
Top Student
B18
Message 8 of 13 (7,504 Views)

[ Edited ]

I do not see any error icons listed within the hidden devices.  I checked, and double checked!  The unknown device is listed under the USB controllers.  It says under location this: Port_#0001.Hub_#0007. 

One more thing I noticed with this issue that may help is that it makes the connect/disconnect noise and then the unknown device disappears in the device manager.  All the listings in the DM collapse and then it opens again to show you all the device listings.  Very odd?  Now the unknown device is gone, but it will come back.  It is like a phantom device.

I couldn't get the quick launch to work.  Would that show the errors in the device manager?  I can't get it to install.

Many thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 13 (7,494 Views)

Hi,

It may be worth trying this.

Shut the PC down, remove the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button on the PC for a good 30 seconds.  Replace the battery, connect the mains adapter and start the PC.  Has this helped at all with the function of the Quick Launch buttons or the Unknown device?

Best wishes,

DP-K

Intern
Biocycle
Message 10 of 13 (7,471 Views)

Hi dude !

1. Try to disable de USB enhaced controller from the Device manager USB category.

2. Update the Microsoft Host Controller using the next softpaq.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL31608/pv-78469-1/sp44620.exe

[[[Tech Support]]]

***Click on Kudos if my suggest helps you***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation