Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a dv7-2170us laptop.

I performed a clean install with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I used the drivers for this laptop model from the HP site.

I'm getting a few unknown devices in Device Manager.

I've tried un-installing the devices and re-installing to allow Windows to re-detect but no drivers are found.  See pictures below, what devices could these possibly be referring to?

I have all the necessary drivers loaded that I am aware of and I installed any driver that looked valid from the HP drivers site.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

EDIT: Everything works!  Thanks for the tip Daniel.  I googled how to identify hardware id's and came up with this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/ , punched in the device id's and bam, it WAS the card reader.  Weird because it was working perfectly.  But I downloaded the driver anyway and re-installed and this resolved the issue.

=============================================

I tried the Intel Chipset Utility, didn't work. Here's the hardware id's though:

If you look closely you'll notice that each of these devices are in fact different.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

That is the Card Reader. .not sure which you have JMicron or Realtek.Just try both. The other unknown is probably the  HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection software.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

The card reader already works, I have it setup with a SD Card for Readyboost and I already have the HP Protectsmart Hard Drive software loaded.  These unknown devices aren't those unfortunately.

HP Recommended

Try the Intel chip set update utility.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi,

Go to: Control Panel -> Devices Manager

Click with right button of Your mouse on each yellow sign with exclamation mark ( ) and choose properties. Then go to ' Details ' tab and paste here Hardware ID . This way we will know what it is.

Below You've got example how to do it:

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

EDIT: Everything works!  Thanks for the tip Daniel.  I googled how to identify hardware id's and came up with this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/ , punched in the device id's and bam, it WAS the card reader.  Weird because it was working perfectly.  But I downloaded the driver anyway and re-installed and this resolved the issue.

=============================================

I tried the Intel Chipset Utility, didn't work. Here's the hardware id's though:

If you look closely you'll notice that each of these devices are in fact different.

HP Recommended

JMicron Card Reader Driver HP Pavilion dv7-2170us Entertainment Notebook PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-75474-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Released:  2009-10-01
Version:  1.0.32.1 A

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45046.exe

=========
[Devices]
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2381="JMB38X SD Host Controller"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2382="JMB38X SD/MMC Host Controller"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2383="JMB38X MS Host Controller"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2384="JMB38X xD Host Controller"

[JMCRModels]
;%PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2381.DeviceDesc% = JM , PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2381&SUBSYS_3624103C ; Quanta
%PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2382.DeviceDesc% = JM , PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2382&SUBSYS_3624103C
%PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2383.DeviceDesc% = JM , PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2383&SUBSYS_3624103C
%PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2384.DeviceDesc% = JM , PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2384&SUBSYS_3624103C

=========
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2381&SUBSYS_3624103C="JMB38X SD Host Controller" has Compobility ID "PCI\CC_080500".

========
Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 intergrated "SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller"

sdbus.inf

[Generic]
%PCI\CC_080500.DeviceDesc%=SDHost,PCI\CC_080500
%PCI\CC_080501.DeviceDesc%=SDHost,PCI\CC_080501

But Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 doesn't intergrated any MS/MMC/xD Host Controller with Compobility ID

"PCI\CC_088000"

=========
So you could used SD or SDHC, but had three unknowed devices with yellow exclamation marks main " Base System

Device":

PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2382="JMB38X SD/MMC Host Controller"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2383="JMB38X MS Host Controller"
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2384="JMB38X xD Host Controller"

HP Recommended

Hello

I need help.. I rebooted my HP loptop and installed some drivers but I cant find the driver for "unknown device".. And my HDMI isn't working.. heres my Hardware ID for this..

Unknown device

USB\VID_138A&PID_0018&REV_0078

USB\VID_138A&PID_0018

thanks in advance...

HP Recommended

@jojogwapo

When you say you 'rebooted' your laptop are you saying that you reinstalled Windows? If so I assume that you did not use Recovery Manager on the laptop or Recovery Discs since you are missing drivers?

Have you installed the  ATI Radeon Graphics driver from your support page? The device you posted hd id of is Validity Fingerprint Sensor-also on your driver page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3979...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi, my HP pavilion dv5 shows this unkown device too

and thats what it shows at the hardware ID

ACPI\HPQ0004

*HPQ0004

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.