Question

Student
mbobala
Message 1 of 5 (310 Views)

Updating to Windows 7 but have changed the operating system from Vista to XP

Hi there, I purchased my dv2718ca in Canada, but am currently living in Korea.  After just two years, I had my hard drive crash, and when I took it into a computer repair guy, after replacing the hard drive, he could not re-install the original operating system (Vista) because each time he went through the installation, there was some error.  He therefore installed XP (successfully), however many things are not functionining correctly (touchpad options, screen saver/sleep mode, microphone plug in etc.).  The current state of operations is unacceptable to me, and thus I am wondering if it would be possible simply to purchase a Windows 7 upgrade, to restore the functions that are now not working as a result of the XP install (apparently there are no available drivers to fix the given problems for XP).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Michelle

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 5 (294 Views)

Re: Updating to Windows 7 but have changed the operating system from Vista to XP

I wouldn't see an issue upgrading the XP to Windows 7, however I would just double-check that your system will support Windows 7 as well as all the drivers.  Oh and don't forget to backup all your data!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Provost
    Paul_Tikkanen
    Message 3 of 5 (293 Views)

Re: Updating to Windows 7 but have changed the operating system from Vista to XP

Hi:

I don't understand how HP can have no drivers listed when they support WXP and leave it to the end user to hunt around cyberspace for drivers.

Yes, you can purchase a Windows 7 upgrade of the version that works best for your personal needs. I have W7 Home Premium on most of my PC's and W7 Pro on one. I don't use any of the extra goodies included with Pro but I got it for the same price so why not?

However, I searched the forum for you and can save you a lot of time looking for XP drivers for your notebook.  You may find that after you get your notebook's XP drivers installed you may not want or need to upgrade to Windows 7.

Scroll down the postings and look at Cheryl G's reply with links to the drivers you need to get your notebook to work on XP.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/Downgraded-to-XP-on-a-dv2718ca-but-there...

Hope this helps,

Paul

Provost
    Daniel_Potyrala
    Message 4 of 5 (243 Views)

Hi,

Some solution which you may try:

• install latest driver for graphic card to solve problem with standby and check setting in Power Management
    • install below ALPS driver to solve problems with touchpad
    • uninstall current audio driver and install this from below to solve problem with mic
    • check this guide to find out how to turn on screensaver

All latest drivers for XP to this model you will find below:

Chipset here (First install this and reboot)

Intel Rapid Storage Manager here

Intel Graphic X3100 here

Important note:

Install MS-UAA only if Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio is not listed in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Devices Manager under System Devices.

MS-UAA for XP with SP2 (required with a reboot before Audio, Modem and Graphic driver) here

MS-UAA for XP with SP3 (required with a reboot before Audio, Modem and Graphic driver) here

Conexant SmartAudio 221 here

Unzip to a folder...use Device Manager.

From Device Manager,right click "Audio Device on High Def Bus",choose Update driver,

No to connect,

Install from a list or specific location,

Select Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install,

For the Hardware Type select 'Show All Devices'

Remove the check from "Show Compatible Hardware" and click on "Have Disk".

Next...browse to the unzipped folder and choose the "WiSVHe5.inf".

Ignore XP when it complains.
    Reboot.

Conexant HD AUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Driver here

Wireless Intel 3945 ABG here

Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller here

.Net Framework (required before HP Quick Launch Buttons) here

HP Quick Launch Buttons here

Ricoh 5-in-1 card reader here

ALPS Touchpad here

Cyberlink YouCam Software 2.0 here

Below words are quote from part 1 of Cheryl & Rakhmad XP Guide (which is here):

QuickPlay Windows for XP

QPW (QuickPlay Windows) version 2.3 for XP, here

Update to the final version of QPW for XP, here and Skin update, here

In some notebook QPW will need a regirsty hack to install it,

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QPFlag]
    "QPFlag"=dword:00000003
    "@"=""

If you don’t know how to do it, just download,QuickPlay.zip, extract it, double click run it.

Ps.

If you will still want to try Windows 7 then use below guide:

Windows 7 Upgrade Guide for dv2000 models

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
    Honor Student
    paul6500
    Message 5 of 5 (84 Views)

[ Edited ]

Whether is Vista or Xp or Windows 7 or 8, HP is so secretive as to NOT allowing others to know what they have.

Leave alone on updates, after downloading a new copy of XP and searching a driver is a real NIGHTMARE. Their services is beyond description, They are the worst laptop producer in this world. Think and talk big but do nothing. After couple of years the employees would not even know your models did exist. 

Everytime I download a new copy of XP and I have to spend days to find a HD audio bus drivers and everytime is different.

I can understand your frustrations asi am feeling the same way. 

Best thing NOT to touch HP poducts ANYMORE. Their service centres in Singapore is terrible, horrible and all they want si$$$$$ and giving you back a {Content Removed]. So you keep on sending back and after awhile the amount spent is more than a new laptop. Their trade in is another [Content Removed].

Employing CHEAP staff which turn you around and make look like a monkey looking at the banana and you go babanas...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation