Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I have a HP Pavilion 17 Notebook

Product number: E0J89UA#ABA 

Windows 8 64-bit

I had a message to upgrade the BIOS.   I did and now when I click to shut down it acts like it is going to and the screen goes black but the power light stays on along with the light for the airplane mode F12.  When I open the laptop, the light is still on.  I can't click the mouse or touch the windows key to wake it up.    I have to hold down the power button to shut it down so I can start it back up.  Starts up fine with no problems.  Doesn't even state that windows did not shut down properly.

I also had to do the upgrade several times with the BIOS.  It is Version F.21AP1  When it did the upgrade the first time it was supposed to restart and it did not.  When I went back to the HP Assistant, it was still listed that I needed to upgrade it.  It is not listed anymore.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since it is not powering down, you can try to disable all items that load on startup, to verify if perhaps a program running in the background is preventing it from shutting down properly. Follow the instructions here: Preventing Software Programs from Opening When Windows Starts (Windows 😎

If that fails, you might be able to restore the BIOS using this method: Restoring the BIOS

Let me know if this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Twinkles, welcome to the HP Forums. It sounds like your computer is not actually turning off, but going into a hybrid sleep. If you do not like this behavior you can disable 'fast start' which will in turn disable hybrid sleep.

For instructions, under "Activating Hibernate" see "Figure 4: System Settings" which shows the dialog box with the option on it to uncheck 'turn on fast startup' in this document: Resolving Problems with Sleep and Hibernate Modes (Windows 😎.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

If it was going into sleep mode, all I have to do is hit the power button and it should wake up.  It does not. 

I did disable "Turn on fast startup" already and it still would not power down completely.

When I click the shut down in the charms menu, everything closes but the power light stays on.

When I close the lid for a while and open it, that power light is still on.

To turn the laptop on, I have to hold down the power button to force it to shut off, then hit it to turn the laptop on. 

This all happen when it updated the BIOS.  Sorry I ever updated it now.

Any other solutions are appreciated!

HP Recommended

Since it is not powering down, you can try to disable all items that load on startup, to verify if perhaps a program running in the background is preventing it from shutting down properly. Follow the instructions here: Preventing Software Programs from Opening When Windows Starts (Windows 😎

If that fails, you might be able to restore the BIOS using this method: Restoring the BIOS

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Did you hear me scream!  I threw 2 arms up in the air and did several Ho Ho Ho when it finally turned off completely after I shut it down.  Never thought seeing this thing go off on its' own would make me so happy!  But, you did that!  Thanks for making it happen!

What did it was to restore the BIOS.  Worked on the first try.

Thanks a bunch!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem on the same exact model.  I restored the BIOS and the problem remained.  I found that if I hit the F10 key to put the WIFI in Airplane mode, then the computer would shut down as well as sleep when I wanted to.

So now when I want to sleep or shut down, I have to remember to also put the computer in airplane mode.  Then it works.  When I restart from sleep, I then turn off the airplane mode by hitting F10, and it wakes back up and properly reconnects.

I think there is an error in the BIOS that keeps the laptop from shutting down/going to sleep if the WIFI is on. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.