Question

Top Student
Flypaperz
Message 1 of 23 (47,657 Views)

Upgrading/changing graphics card in my Laptop. Possible? Cost? Recommended?

Here are the specs on my HP Laptop:

------------------
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv2700 Notebook PC
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-62 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4030MB RAM
Page File: 1789MB used, 6490MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA MCP67M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0531&SUBSYS_30D6103C&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1068 MB
Dedicated Memory: 61 MB
Shared Memory: 1007 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

The laptop by itself is powerful enough, but I am having a problem with the graphics card being very subpar compared to the rest of my unit. I don't game a lot on my computer, but I do play one game: World of Warcraft. This computer has been sufficent until their recent exansion. Wrath of the Lich King, which is rendered completely unplayable due to what I assume is the graphics card.

I have asked around a bit and I have had pretty much universal responses telling me that my graphics card is old and is even worse, because it is integrated. 

My questions:

Is it possible to order a new graphics card from HP (this site) for my laptop? What would this cost? What options do I have?

How would I get it installed? How much would this cost?

Is this the most economic solution? I have heard it will cost more than my computer to upgrade my graphics card... Would you recommend to just build a new desktop instead?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Grad Student
Vaika
Message 2 of 23 (47,722 Views)

Re: Upgrading/changing graphics card in my Laptop. Possible? Cost? Recommended?

You would be best purchasing a new desktop, as your notebook... well, ANY notebook is very limited in terms of upgrades.  I ran into this problem with my notebook as well when WotLK came out... I get a whopping 1.5 - 2 FPS in Dalaran!  It's workable, if unpleasant, so I deal with it while I save up to purchase a new HP desktop.  I'm planning on getting the 279$ model on the website, plunk a good video card and some RAM in, and be done with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Top Student
Flypaperz
Message 3 of 23 (47,651 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah, that sounds just like what is happening with me. I'm at around 1 FPS pretty much anywhere in Northrend, and this is with all the graphics on low.

If a destop is the best route to go, I think I'll just wait a while before I get one. This really bugs me, because if I did get a desktop, it would only be for World of Warcraft and frankly, I'm not so in love with the game to spend upwards of $400 to play it. This computer is fairly new (6 months) and I just can't justify buying a another one for at least another year or so.

I would still like to know my options as far as upgrading the laptop, although I do understand it is limited and possibly very expensive.

Edit - Do HP employees post on this board or is it just a user board? I would really like one of them to list my options.

Message Edited by Flypaperz on 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 4 of 23 (47,642 Views)

I believe some HP employees do post here, but it's primarily a user forum.  One might respond!

That said... I do think that you're unable to upgrade your video card with that notebook... there just isn't any ROOM inside the case to add a new/extra video card.  You might want to upgrade your RAM if you haven't already.  My 1.5 FPS in Dalaran is with 1.5GB RAM (I upgraded) and bottom of the line integrated graphics card, as well as Windows Classic/Standard theme as opposed to Aero.

Take these steps and tell me how your FPS sits in Northrend... say in the Fjord or Tundra away from the docks:

> Right click on desktop, click Personalize, click Theme, in the drop-down select Windows Classic, press OK.

> Start, in the 'start search' type MSCONFIG, go to Startup tab, de-select anything you know what it is and know you don't ABSOLUTELY need it (antivirus, one IM program... you shouldn't need anything else unless it's related to your keyboard buttons, video card, etc.) and press OK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 5 of 23 (47,640 Views)

Also I see that you already have 4GB RAM, so I'd say your upgrade options are pretty much nil, and you're stuck with optimizing your PC as it is.

So let me know how your FPS are after those steps.  Another thing you may want to look into is uninstalling any unneeded programs, etc. or perhaps running a system recovery to get back to factory defaults, installing only the bare basics and WoW, and then trying.

When I run WoW with my 1.5GB RAM, I have it with almost all my startup programs off and with Windows Classic theme... my only other programs running are usually Chrome, Pidgin and Winamp, sometimes Vent if I'm healing for my guildmates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Top Student
Flypaperz
Message 6 of 23 (47,635 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I have already tried both those things. I have attempted all of the standard fixes and no to very little improvement. And I have 4GB of RAM btw, so I really don't think that is the issue.

About the room issue, theoretically, shouldn't it be possible to remove the video card I have and put in a different one? I know they would have to be custom HP made, but it still seems possible. 

I appreciate the help. 

Edit - I really don't want to uninstall any of the programs I already have on my computer. I honestly haven't downloaded that many though and try to keep it pretty clean. One problem, there are a few start up programs in MSCONFIG that I have no idea what they do, so I am a little afraid to uncheck a lot of them.

Message Edited by Flypaperz on 12-08-2008 02:27 PM
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 7 of 23 (47,633 Views)

If the one that you have is integrated, then no, you wouldn't be able to take it out... it's part of the motherboard.  So theoretically you could get a new motherboard, but with the small form factor of notebooks, I doubt you'd be able to find any with a better video card built-in that also fit and didn't break your Windows installation.

What else have you tried?

Also, have you tried posting in the Technical Support section of the WoW forums?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 8 of 23 (47,585 Views)

Could you perhaps list your Startup programs in MSCONFIG?  I can probably tell you what they do, I poke around in my MSCONFIG constantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Top Student
Flypaperz
Message 9 of 23 (47,626 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh, that sucks.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WoW. I made sure I had no programs running the backround. I have Vista running at the loweset settings. All sound and graphics as low as they can go. Resolution as low as possible. Buying a laptop cooling system to keep it from overheating. 

I have also tried asking on the WoW tech forums and no one would respond to me. I tried several times to no avail. It seems like it is flooded with similar problems and blizzard has not responded to anyone.

Edit - 

NVIDIA Driver Helper Servis

NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver

NVIDIA Media Center Library

Alps Pointing-device Driver

HP QuickTouch On Screen Display

Windows Defender

HP Health Check Scheduler

lxdqmon.exe

lxdqamon

Microsoft Windows Operating System

Microsoft Windows Operating System

LightScribe

Microsoft Windows Operating System (Yes, it says this three times.)

WPNSCFG

HP Quick Launch Buttons

StartMen Application

Symantec Security Technologies

Symantec Shared Components

HpqSRmon Application

Adobe Acrobat

hpwuSchd Application

HP Wireless Assistant

HP Wireless Assistant (Says this twice)

Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U2

HP QuickPlay

QuickTime

iTunes

Microsoft OFfice OneNote

Message Edited by Flypaperz on 12-08-2008 02:37 PM
Grad Student
Vaika
Message 10 of 23 (47,623 Views)

Hmmm.. What about the add-ons you're running also?  Can you tell me which addons and how much memory they take?  (I believe if you hover over the icon that tells you latency, it'll also tell you which add-ons you're running and how much memory they take up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation